+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue with Travel Agent

wen123

Mar 26, 2021
Hi Guys,

wondering if any one of you have insights on this matter.

I booked flight ticket with travel agent but i cancelled my travel due to rising cases.
Airlines are returning 100% due to covid guidelines, but travel agent was refused to pay me 100% back.
they wanted $200 per ticket for cancellation, i offered $100 still they refused to refund.

its clearly they are very greedy, i am planning to complaint about them.
is they any way i can get back my money 100% or paying reasonable charges $80 to $100 per ticket.

thanking you in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Guys,

I booked flight ticket with travel agent but i cancelled my travel due to rising cases.
Airlines are returning 100% due to covid guidelines, but travel agent was refused to pay me 100% back.
they wanted $200 per ticket for cancellation, i offered $100 still they refused to refund.

is they any way i can get back my money 100% or paying reasonable charges $80 to $100 per ticket.

thanking you in advance.
Check the cancellation policy of your travel agent. Each agent will have different policies. Not being greedy but the agency will decided their own policy. It is up to you to know before booking what their refund policy is. If you wanted full refund, you should have booked your own flight. What airline gives 100% refund? Assume the travel agent is in Canada.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys,

thanking you in advance.
You need to review the agent's terms and conditions. This will cover cancellation fees and what you should expect to be charged. Even if the airline's refund is 100%, there may be agent fees involved in the cancellation. The terms and conditions will tell you how much you should expect. If the terms and conditions mention the $200 per ticket, then you are unfortunately out of luck. If it's less than that, then you should definitely argue.

You don't say where this travel agent is located. If they are in Ontario, then you may want to read through this information.

https://www.tico.ca/blog/happens-health-incident-like-coronavirus-impacts-travel-plans

Reactions: Naturgrl

wen123

Mar 26, 2021
You need to review the agent's terms and conditions. This will cover cancellation fees and what you should expect to be charged. Even if the airline's refund is 100%, there may be agent fees involved in the cancellation. The terms and conditions will tell you how much you should expect. If the terms and conditions mention the $200 per ticket, then you are unfortunately out of luck. If it's less than that, then you should definitely argue.

You don't say where this travel agent is located. If they are in Ontario, then you may want to read through this information.

https://www.tico.ca/blog/happens-health-incident-like-coronavirus-impacts-travel-plans
Thanks for the details.
Yes agent is from Ontario, their cancellation note mention in ticket, but they never informed me.

here is original note in the ticket.
"AS TRIP CANCELLATION HAS BEEN OFFERED
TO THE PASSANGERS AND DECLINED UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED ABOVE.
YOUR RESERVATION MAY INCUR A $200 CANCELATION PENALTY
OVER AND ABOVE AIRLINE FEES.
IT MAY ALSO INCUR A $150 CHANGE FEE OVER AND ABOVE AIRLINE FEES.
THE CONTRACT PERMITS PRICE INCREASES.
NO PRICE INCREASES ARE PERMITTED AFTER THE
CUSTOMER HAS PAID IN FULL.
IF THE PRICE INCREASE IS MORE
THAN 7%, EXCEPT INCREASES RESULTING FROM AN
INCREASE IN RETAIL TAX OR GST
CUMULATIVE INCREASE, THE CUSTOMER HAS THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE
CONTRACT AND OBTAIN A FULL REFUND. "

this means if i reschedule my tikcets any any price increase than original price , do i have a right to cancel and get full refund?.
i suppose to pay $200 per ticket or for whole booking?, agent asking me for each ticket $200 ?.

thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the details.
Yes agent is from Ontario, their cancellation note mention in ticket, but they never informed me.

here is original note in the ticket.
"AS TRIP CANCELLATION HAS BEEN OFFERED
TO THE PASSANGERS AND DECLINED UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED ABOVE.
YOUR RESERVATION MAY INCUR A $200 CANCELATION PENALTY
OVER AND ABOVE AIRLINE FEES.
IT MAY ALSO INCUR A $150 CHANGE FEE OVER AND ABOVE AIRLINE FEES.
THE CONTRACT PERMITS PRICE INCREASES.
NO PRICE INCREASES ARE PERMITTED AFTER THE
CUSTOMER HAS PAID IN FULL.
IF THE PRICE INCREASE IS MORE
THAN 7%, EXCEPT INCREASES RESULTING FROM AN
INCREASE IN RETAIL TAX OR GST
CUMULATIVE INCREASE, THE CUSTOMER HAS THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE
CONTRACT AND OBTAIN A FULL REFUND. "

this means if i reschedule my tikcets any any price increase than original price , do i have a right to cancel and get full refund?.
i suppose to pay $200 per ticket or for whole booking?, agent asking me for each ticket $200 ?.

thanks in advance.
It means the following:
- If you cancel, they can charge you a fee of up to $200 per ticket.
- If you rebook / change your flight, they can charge you a fee of $150 per ticket above and beyond the cost of the new ticket from the airline and any airline change fee.
- No, based on this, you do not have the right to cancel and get a full refund. The last clause regarding a full refund does not apply to your situation. It applies to situations where someone books a flight with the agency and then the flight cost suddenly changes before the agency has time to process their booking fully.

So they are within their rights to charge you the $200 per ticket for cancelation.