+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there much longer of a wait?

CanadienseGal

Jan 28, 2024
Hi there,

My husband and I are (I think) almost finished with the PR process. He is from Mexico, we applied inland this February, and every step is complete and approved except for the criminal record check. Does anyone have any experience similar to this just waiting on the criminal record check? If so how long did it take you roughly?

We are hoping to go to Mexico in December - that gives us 5 and a half months to get it back and get approved. Is it wishful thinking or would that add up time wise? I think mid February was when the criminal record check was sent away.

Also, if we get approved (which he doesn't have a criminal record) but don't receive his PR card by the point we hope to travel, is there any way to still travel? Is there a document we could apply for?

Thanks!

Charlamanderxxxx

Jun 27, 2024
Hi there,

I applied in November 2023 and my background check was the last stage which was done on June 14. So it took more than 6 months to complete. However, I think it depends. Have you checked this sheet to see the trend and progress? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/192sbvjd4vJsEWY_B7w5DgFKBmIPNYo6TjlVWAk-xxxA/edit#gid=1154618179 It might help you gauge the applicants from which month have the background check completed.

Regarding traveling outside the country before the PR card, I called IRCC and they sent me this information. I hope some of this information helps!

Permanent resident travel document (PRTD)

If you are (or plan to be) outside Canada without a valid permanent resident card (PR card), and you need to return to Canada on a commercial vehicle (e.g., plane, train, boat or bus), you may be able to obtain a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to travel back to Canada by following the steps below.

How to apply:

• Visit the How to apply page on our website,
    • in the drop-down menu, choose the country/territory where you are applying from to get the required checklist, forms and detailed instructions on how to submit your application,
    • we recommend consulting the Instruction Guide and the Document Checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
Before leaving Canada (if applicable)

• We strongly encourage you to consult the Document Checklist in advance and to bring all the required documents with you.
Processing times:

• These may vary depending on whether your application is considered complex or not.
Important information:

• If you return to Canada in a private vehicle (e.g., your car), the PR card is not mandatory. You may use one of the following immigration documents:
    • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
  • Upon your return to Canada, we invite you to apply for a PR card.
Visa Application Centres (VACs)

Visa application centres (VACs) have contracts with the Government of Canada to give you visa application support services and biometrics services.

On November 2nd, 2019, new contracts with the VACs in Europe, Africa and the Middle East resulted in changes to:

Please visit our VAC page regularly for updates before you go.