+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the Job Seeker Profile mandatory after Express Entry Invitation?

HazelVolk

May 4, 2024
Hi all,

I was recently invited to apply for permanent residency through the Express Entry system. When I initially submitted my Expression of Interest, I was provided with an Express Entry profile number and a Job Seeker validation code.

I understand that it might take a least 4 months before I hear back from the immigration department, but in the meantime, I’ve started researching job opportunities in the area where I plan to settle. My goal is to directly contact organizations that are hiring in that location.

In the invitation letter I received, they encouraged me to explore the various tools on the Job Bank website and to create a Job Match/Job Seeker profile to get matched with job vacancies. My question is: Can anyone confirm if creating a profile on Job Bank is mandatory, or is it simply a recommendation? Personally, I prefer reaching out to employers directly, but I’m curious if the government tracks whether I followed this suggestion.

Also, once I become a permanent resident, do you know if employers are required to go through the Express Entry system (like explained here) or prove that they couldn’t fill the job domestically before hiring me? Or does that requirement no longer apply once I’ve gained permanent residency? I’m also curious if I’ll be classified as a “newcomer,” and what that entails in terms of job searching and employment and what it means.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Hazel