+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is study permit still valid after applying for PGWP?

Madane

Oct 3, 2015
Hi guys, I also have another question.

So, my study permit is not going to expire before 2016. However, I just submitted my application for PGWP today. Is my study permit still going to be valid or am I going to be automatically put under implied status?

Thanks before

AK84

Aug 11, 2011
Madane said:
Hi guys, I also have another question.

So, my study permit is not going to expire before 2016. However, I just submitted my application for PGWP today. Is my study permit still going to be valid or am I going to be automatically put under implied status?

Thanks before
Once you applied for PGWP then you can work for any employer if you have off-campus work permit. Study permit is no longer valid once your university gave you confirmation letter or you applied as PGWP. Automatically 90 under implied status

Madane

Oct 3, 2015
So technically speaking, if my study permit is valid until next year and I submitted my application for post graduate work permit today, can I still do things under my study permit?

The thing is I am planning to go to US without a TRV to go back to Canada. I asked CIC and they said we can do that only if we come to Canada from US. The problem is because I have submitted my application for my PGWP, I don't know if I can still do that. Am I going to lose my implied status and can only visit Canada as a visitor until my PGWP has been approved?

Thanks before

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
"A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp

If you are still within that 90 day period, your study permit is still valid (and you are not on implied status).

Note that the TRV is needed for only airline travel- if you travel to the US by road, then you don't need the TRV.

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
It's simple, when you are in implied status, and you leave the country, your status have been lost, and you are without any permit in the country.
Then you can not study, either work.
When you are back in Canada and you get a rejection, what are you doing then? did you think about that?
When you are on implied stutus, and get a rejection for your PGWP, and did't leave the country, you can apply for a extended work permit. Y ou can't when you left the country.
Before you can apply for extension after expiring of your study permit, you first have to restore the old one, and after that you can apply for a new one.
I should say: don't leave the country in this status.

I have a friend who left in the same situation, but he can not come back right away. He's still in his own country waiting....... and waiting.....

wish you all the best,: