+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Public Education for minor dependents of International Students free?

CMM_1981

Feb 4, 2017
I Will be studying at Seneca College this coming September and I am considering bringing my minor children to study there as well.

Can anyone confirm if Elementary and Secondary Public School education is free in Ontario for dependents of international students?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I Will be studying at Seneca College this coming September and I am considering bringing my minor children to study there as well.

Can anyone confirm if Elementary and Secondary Public School education is free in Ontario for dependents of international students?
Yes - free.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes it is free but permits/visas as not guaranteed for families of international students.

CMM_1981

Feb 4, 2017
Thank you.

Reached out to TDSB and this is what they said:

They will not charge tuition fees to a school-age dependent of a parent(s) or legal guardian who is in Canada with an IRCC issued Study Visa, under the following conditions:

• The parent’s visa must be for study at a government-funded community college or university – not at a private college or university. The program of study must lead to graduation with a postsecondary degree or diploma. The student must have received acceptance into a diploma or degree program at a publicly funded government college or university.

• Any certificate program, even with a valid study permit, whether a general college certificate or a post-graduate college or university certificate, does not qualify for tuition waiver unless the certificate program is over 600hrs and over 2 semesters.

Is it the same for all Public Schools? My program is a 1-year post-graduate college certificate program (not sure if it is more than 600 hours). Not even sure if co-op on the third term is counted. I do not have an OWP family member, it will just be me and the kids.

Now, thinking of changing schools/program.

Last edited:

susanwise

Nov 21, 2022
If a parent or legal guardian is in Canada on an IRCC-issued Study Visa and is school-age, their school-age dependent can attend any publicly funded school without paying tuition fees. The following conditions must be met:
  1. The dependent's visa must be for studying at a government-funded community college or university.
  2. The program of study must lead to graduation in apa essay format with a postsecondary degree.
  3. The student must have been accepted into a degree program at a publicly funded government college or university.

Juvina

Aug 12, 2024
I am an international student in Ontario,Mississauga. My son got an admission in YMCA for pre-kg with fee. How can I get free education for my son. Let me know the procedure?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an international student in Ontario,Mississauga. My son got an admission in YMCA for pre-kg with fee. How can I get free education for my son. Let me know the procedure?
One he is in kindergarten, it will be free if he attends a public school. You have to pay for pre-kg.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One he is in kindergarten, it will be free if he attends a public school. You have to pay for pre-kg.
One caveat. Although kindergarten is free many parents have to pay for care after school and sometimes before school because school hours are much shorter than typical work hours. The high cost of childcare is something people need to consider when coming to Canada. Finding childcare can be difficult even if you have the funds.

CADme23

Jun 28, 2024
There’s good advice here about researching the cost of childcare. I would add that you should also be aware that the schools have several days off that universities/colleges don’t have off (eg. a week in March for March Break, 2 weeks at the end of December but it doesn’t align well with uni/college holiday break). These are days you would also have to pay for childcare. Also, college classes could take place in the evening or on Saturdays, school is Monday-Friday usually about 9am - 3:30pm (different schools have different hours but it’s usually 6.5 hours in a day).

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There’s good advice here about researching the cost of childcare. I would add that you should also be aware that the schools have several days off that universities/colleges don’t have off (eg. a week in March for March Break, 2 weeks at the end of December but it doesn’t align well with uni/college holiday break). These are days you would also have to pay for childcare. Also, college classes could take place in the evening or on Saturdays, school is Monday-Friday usually about 9am - 3:30pm (different schools have different hours but it’s usually 6.5 hours in a day).
There is also summer vacation. Paying for summer childcare/camp can get extremely expensive.