+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really needed to write a "narrative" about relationship?

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see some people writing extra pages dealing with how they met, traveled to meet, went on dates etc. but shouldn't you have already explained that by answering the questions in detail on the questionnaire? I mean is it needed to rewrite all of that out just to write a narrative of our relationship. I figured they would get the picture by seeing our evidences and by reading our detailed answers to each question.

I understand that at the end of the sponsor and spousal questionnaire you can include something extra to prove it is genuine.
Is this what people included? A narrative?

If not what did you do for this part of the questionnaire?
Also, how did you go about answering Question 9 when asked about the development of your relationship?
Did you just start describing things you did together since you first met in person and when you lived together etc.?

Sorry for all the questions but this part seems to be confusing me and it would be nice to have some insight from people as well as tips and advices.
I am hoping you all can help ease this troubled mind. :)

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
My g/f and I didn't supply a separate narrative, but rather wrote everything in the questionnaire-form. For this we needed a lot of separate papers attached to the form, since the boxes were too small, but the answers to the questions in the questionnaire covered the relationship in its entirety.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
My g/f and I didn't supply a separate narrative, but rather wrote everything in the questionnaire-form. For this we needed a lot of separate papers attached to the form, since the boxes were too small, but the answers to the questions in the questionnaire covered the relationship in its entirety.
This is something similar to what I plan to do.
I was just going to use additional pages to the questions because as you said, the boxes are too small.

What did you supply for the last part of the questionnaire where it says you can include things to show your relationship is genuine and continuing?

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
we supplied pictures, letters from friends & family, shared bank info, plane tickets, copies of passports showing stamps with travel, receipts from our wedding, email correspondence...if you search around the site for "supporting documentation" you'll find lots of info about what others have included.

remember, you want to make sure the person reading this is crystal clear about your relationship and has no doubts it is genuine, real and authentic. don't be repetitive, but don't leave anything out that might be helpful as proof.

hope this helps!

Amir Shuval

Mar 26, 2010
Richmond Hill, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on the relationship.

You can choose to provide info only through the answers in the questionnaire,be stingy with the details, and not have any problem.

And you can write scrolls and be called for an interview and refused. I think this is more about quality of the info you are offering rather than quantity.

If you got married to the sponsor 8 weeks after divorcing your previous spouse,the phone bills and photos are not going to be as important as precisely explaining the development of your relationship.

Sometimes it is just not possible to win the visa officer over with the initial package. In those cases it is important to go to the interview knowing what to expect, what to say and what not to say.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
ColorMePanda said:
This is something similar to what I plan to do.
I was just going to use additional pages to the questions because as you said, the boxes are too small.

What did you supply for the last part of the questionnaire where it says you can include things to show your relationship is genuine and continuing?
For that question (#20?) I referred to a table of contents listing all out evidence, including utility bills, rental contracts, bank papers, ICQ conversations, declarations from my g/f's parents and friends etc.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ColorMePanda said:
I see some people writing extra pages dealing with how they met, traveled to meet, went on dates etc. but shouldn't you have already explained that by answering the questions in detail on the questionnaire?
Every relationship is different, but for ours I think the extra pages will be important. I have filled in all of the questions on the questionnaire but I find the result to be somewhat disjointed. What I think a narrative would tie things together better and explain how we got from A to B to C, rather than just describing what A was like and what dates it took place, what B was like, etc. What made us go from first contact to meeting to travelling together to commitment. (I'm talking about a long-distance same-s*x conjugal relationship.

I also like the idea of having a short narrative that ties things together at a glance, and therefore is a summary of the 30 pages or whatever the forms amount to.

sri123

Apr 22, 2010
Although my case was pretty complicated i didnt write any relationship narrative's etc....i only used as much space provided on the the form to explain our relationship and no extra typed pages of information.....what i had was pics of us together over the last 6 years(4 pics for every year, out of them 2 pics per year of us doing couple things and 2 pics per year of us spending time with family) + a bunch of wedding pics, 5 letters of support (i personally think they made my case), documents showing us as dependants/beneficiary on medical insurance or life insurance, shared credit cards, joint bank accounts, joint house lease, both our names on pet adoption form, wedding card etc and a few other supporting docs which i cant remember right now.
eventhough i had a complicated case, i was never called for interview and i think it was all cuz of the strength of my supporting docs.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
We used the application to answer the questions, however many of the questions spilled over onto a seperate page as we couldnt fit it all on the form itself.

Addiitionally, we each wrote a letter to the immigraton agent (To whom it may concern) outlining, on a personal level, whey we believe they should approve us to be together.

Good luck.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
We answered with out story in the form with a few extra pages to give us more room.

For additonal proof I took parts of what I had and attached it all with a sheet explaining what it all was. It was just a list of things like this:
1. Some photos with descriptions on the back that showed in images our story to match what we had written. Basically a timeline of images. Meetings, meeting family, wedding, honeymoon, etc.
2. Copies of tickets and passport stamps showing travel together or to each other.
3. Copy of one month of msn chat with info that I had 10 months more available at home.
4. Copy of my gmail inbox showing all the email threads too and from my wife explaining that each thread out of 400+ represented several emails.
5. Copy of one month of phone bills showing calls and sms's and explained that I had 8 other months to provide.

Basically I showed a sample of what I had, and let them know the volume more available.