+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it possible to get a study permit even if i only plan on studying part-time?

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
the graduate program i'm looking into can be taken either in 1 year (full time) or 2yrs (part-time). can i apply for the part-time option and then apply for at least a year's worth of post-graduation work permit after completion? these are all in hope of qualifying for the canadian experience class using work experience.

pls helppppp....
thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hoh818 said:
the graduate program i'm looking into can be taken either in 1 year (full time) or 2yrs (part-time). can i apply for the part-time option and then apply for at least a year's worth of post-graduation work permit after completion? these are all in hope of qualifying for the canadian experience class using work experience.

pls helppppp....
thank you.
No, the study has to be full time to get a Post Grad Work Permit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

PMM

hoh818

Nov 17, 2009
i now see that my initial plan to take on a 1 yr graduate program may not work.

there's another program i'm looking into that can be finished in 5 semesters or roughly 19 months. for the CEC, is immigration strict about the "2yrs of study" thingie?

thanks again

fattyreflyer

Feb 25, 2010
Melbourne
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The way I read it on the CIC website is that the program of study must be longer than 8 months (full time), so therefore if you did the 1yr full time option this would work. However you would then only be eligible for 1 year of work after that i.e. the work permit is valid only for the length of time equivalent to your course length...