+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it okay to work for two different companies in a given year and still have it considered as continuous work?

hammadkhan97

Jan 23, 2022
Hello All,

My query is regarding the IRCC's requirement wherein the skilled work experience must be 1 year of continuous work.

Query 1:

I joined Company X in March, 2021 in Malaysia. Later, I was transferred to Singapore in July, 2022. While the employer at large remains same, they are named as different entities in Malaysia and Singapore - (Company Sdn. Bhd. in Malaysia & Comapny Pte. Ltd.).

Would these likely be considered as separate comapnies by IRCC? Any ideas around this would be apprecciated.

Query 2:
The second query is more towards the timing. Please look at the breakdown below:
- Joined Company X in Malaysia in March 2021: worked for 1 year 4 months
- Got transferred to Singapore under same company in July 2022: 6 months completed and currently employed

Based on the info above, I am certain to receive points for 1 year of continuous work that I did in Malaysia.

May I know if it would be considered 1 year of continuous work if I worked for 4 months in Malaysia and the remaining 8 months in Singapore (under the same company)?

Any help would be dearly appreciated.

Supporting links:
Eligibility to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) - Canada.ca