+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it ok to take a leave from work before applying for PGWP (after graduating) or do I need to quit?

seominp

Dec 23, 2018
I read that right after international students get their transcript upon graduating, they need to stop working, before applying for PGWP. I currently work 15 hours/week at my job. For me:

April 21: Exam Ends
April 29: Transcript Out + Graduation Letter

For applying for PGWP, I need my official transcript which even if I order on April 29, it will take until May 6th to arrive (latest). So I can't apply for PGWP until May 6th.

1. Am I allowed to work part-time after my exams end (after April 21 but before April 29) but before graduation? That is, between the time period of my exams ending and my transcript arriving?
2. I have taken a leave (holiday) from April 29 to May 6 from work because I can only apply for PGWP on May 6th and I am not allowed to work before that. Is it okay to take a leave or do I need to quit my job and restart once I apply for PGWP?
3. I have told my employer that I have taken this leave for 'personal/immigration reasons'. Do I need to specify this situation or does it not matter?

Thank you