+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is internal conversion from Visitor visa to work permit ending

cdpr

Feb 21, 2022
I have read in some articles that people with visitor visas (holding a job offer) cannot convert their status to work permit internally after February. Is it correct? What can be the alternative if I wish to come on visitor visa, find a job and convert to work permit. do I have to go back to my home country and get the visa stamping? Please help!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have read in some articles that people with visitor visas (holding a job offer) cannot convert their status to work permit internally after February. Is it correct? What can be the alternative if I wish to come on visitor visa, find a job and convert to work permit. do I have to go back to my home country and get the visa stamping? Please help!!
The policy ends in 7 days. You couldn’t convert a visitor visa to work permit. With the policy, you still need a LMIA to apply for a closed work permit. With the current policy, you could stay in Canada while the LMIA is processed and work.

So if you come on a visitor visa, you need to get a job offer. Then employer files for LMIA, pays $1k and proves no Canadian or PR can do the job. You wait as a visitor while LMIA is processed (takes months). Then you apply for a closed work permit and wait for processing (takes months). Few employers go through the process. The process can take up to a year once all the paperwork starts. It is your decision to stay in Canada (if you are allowed) or wait for processing at home.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html