+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRB Member Recognition Rates 2023

Yaeed

Sep 9, 2024
Hi Yaeed, thanks for sharing. Wondering what does it mean ?
Hey @amaniman

No problem; glad I helped.

Some countries have a recognition rate way too low for their refugee claims to be accepted; those countries' citizens don't seek asylum generally, like EU countries mostly, US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc., and could be highly intervened by either IRCC or CBSA (Minister's counsel) in refugee claims from those countries.

Take a look at refugee claims from Sweden in the Excel sheet; you will see the rate is zero (no recognition).

Hope I cleared the picture.

Reactions: amaniman

amaniman

Jul 24, 2024
Hey @amaniman

No problem; glad I helped.

Some countries have a recognition rate way too low for their refugee claims to be accepted; those countries' citizens don't seek asylum generally, like EU countries mostly, US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc., and could be highly intervened by either IRCC or CBSA (Minister's counsel) in refugee claims from those countries.

Take a look at refugee claims from Sweden in the Excel sheet; you will see the rate is zero (no recognition).

Hope I cleared the picture.
It make sense now. thanks for the explanation

Reactions: Yaeed

Yaeed

Sep 9, 2024
its a bit weird that recognization rates are very variable depends on member.
Yes, it depends on a member's experience and opinion on refugee claims from particular countries.
And most of the IRB decision-makers are lawyers, and some are public servants; they are always referred to as Members.

Some countries are easily given protection, and some are not, but the member will look at:
Subjective fear, objective fear, state protection, internal flight alternative, how credible the claimant's fear is, how the claimant meets Convention Refugee or Person in Need of Protection definitions, etc.

Sometimes, some lawyers or immigration consultants will take your case based on your country of nationality; they know some countries are accepted easily and some are not.
Always take legal advice whenever possible.