+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Invitation Letter

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
Hi, I am Canadian Citizen. I want to help my friend get a visitor visa to Canada. They need an invitation letter. I am happy to make the letter. However, I don't want to include copy of my Passport/Citizen Card under any circumstance (proof of my status). What can I do to work around or resolve that issue ?

2. Should the letter be typed or hand written?

3. do i need to notarize the letter ?

Please advise. Thank you

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Letter doesn’t have to be notarized and is typed. You don’t need to include passport or proof of status. Just say you are citizen in the letter. The letter of invitation is the least important document as you are not a relative. The most important is to show their funds to support a visit, ties to return, travel history and valid reasons to travel.

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
Letter doesn’t have to be notarized and is typed. You don’t need to include passport or proof of status. Just say you are citizen in the letter. The letter of invitation is the least important document as you are not a relative. The most important is to show their funds to support a visit, ties to return, travel history and valid reasons to travel.
Thank you for responding, i really appreciate it. What would be the difference in the same scenario but a relative instead (mothers older brother & his wife). They would be staying at my home during their trip & I'm happy to make them the letter too. Does my passport or proof of status become absolutely necessary in that case?

Sorry if my questions/concerns sound weird, I was less secure with my sensitive info in the past and it caused me a lot of problems to my finances that I am still recovering from.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for responding, i really appreciate it. What would be the difference in the same scenario but a relative instead (mothers older brother & his wife). They would be staying at my home during their trip & I'm happy to make them the letter too. Does my passport or proof of status become absolutely necessary in that case?

Sorry if my questions/concerns sound weird, I was less secure with my sensitive info in the past and it led to a lot of damage to my finances that I am still recovering from.
So your uncle and his spouse. They are not immediate nor extended family, but can say visiting ”other” family. You can say who they are in your letter. No passport information needed.

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
So your uncle and his spouse. They are not immediate nor extended family, but can say visiting ”other” family. You can say who they are in your letter. No passport information needed.

Thank you. Let me ask you this: In this case, in the absence of proof of my status that only I could provide, and the absence of notarization to "authenticate" the letter via me signing in the presence of notary public here in Canada, how would a visa officer know that the letter is actually from me and the applicant has not simply typed it by themselves in a text editor for example?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. Let me ask you this: In this case, in the absence of proof of my status that only I could provide, and the absence of notarization to "authenticate" the letter via me signing in the presence of notary public here in Canada, how would a visa officer know that the letter is actually from me and the applicant has not simply typed it by themselves in a text editor for example?
If you want it notarized then go ahead. They are not your immediate nor extended family members so you are not showing proof of relationship. If you want to show proof of relationship then you need documentation proving relationship to your uncle through birth certificates and passports.

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
If you want it notarized then go ahead. They are not your immediate nor extended family members so you are not showing proof of relationship. If you want to show proof of relationship then you need documentation proving relationship to your uncle through birth certificates and passports.
Thank you. Before this, I was under the impression that they were my extended family. (mother's brother & his wife) aka uncle & his spouse. Does ircc have a link that outlines who is considered as immediate & extended family? I could not find one.

I don't particularly want the letter notarized. In fact, I would save time & money by not notarizing it. I was simply wondering your thoughts on how how a visa officer would know that the letter is actually from me and the applicant has not simply typed it by themselves in a text editor for example

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. Before this, I was under the impression that they were my extended family. (mother's brother & his wife) aka uncle & his spouse. Does ircc have a link that outlines who is considered as immediate & extended family? I could not find one.

I don't particularly want the letter notarized. In fact, I would save time & money by not notarizing it. I was simply wondering your thoughts on how how a visa officer would know that the letter is actually from me and the applicant has not simply typed it by themselves in a text editor for example
If you look at TRV documents list if visiting family then they need to provide proof of relationship through birth certificates/passport etc. If you don’t want to give this information then don’t. They apply as visitors for tourism purpose. Don’t give letter. Your relatives are the ones applying so you don’t have to give any letter or documents to prove relationship at all.

Immediate family - spouse, children under 22 and parents/parents-in-law
Extended - sibling, grandchildren, grandparents, children over 22