+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Investiments in Canada

gschostack

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hello guys,

I'm brazilian and I'm starting my process of immigration through EE - FSW. My question is regarding the taxation of US stock investments. As a PR, can I have an US bank account for stocks and ETFs ? The taxation would be to high ?
Is it worth it ?
Thanks so much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

I'm brazilian and I'm starting my process of immigration through EE - FSW. My question is regarding the taxation of US stock investments. As a PR, can I have an US bank account for stocks and ETFs ? The taxation would be to high ?
Is it worth it ?
Thanks so much
Do you mean a bank account that is in the US and stocks that are held in the US? If so, then no, that is not possible.

You can however have a bank account in Canada that holds US dollars and an investment account in Canada where you buy US stocks. The accounts themselves have to be in Canada. They cannot be in the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,

Is it worth it ?
Thanks so much
Investments will be taxed much lower than income and pay the majority when you sell based on capital gains.

Reactions: gschostack

williamburk

Sep 28, 2023
Investments will be taxed much lower than income and pay the majority when you sell based on capital gains.
Thanks for the explanation. And is the tax for immigrants is the same as for locals, or it's different? I'm planning my move to Canada, and now I'm looking for some information about finances, taxes and so on. I have a bank account in my country, and now I'm thinking about what to do with money I have there. Of course, it's the option to open a new account there, but I'm also thinking about creating a digital wallet. I found this interesting article https://dashdevs.com/blog/how-to-create-a-digital-wallet/, which provided me with some more info about it, which digital wallets can be, and some info about their creation and development. I work in the financial sphere, so fintech is quite interesting to me, so after moving and settling, I'll think about changing my career a little.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the explanation. And is the tax for immigrants is the same as for locals, or it's different?
With investment, one (immigrants and locals) can also capture capital loss to offset future capital gains.