+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

intra company transferee visa & family

mark5116

Sep 6, 2016
Hi All

I hope my post finds you all well.

I'm looking for information on following subject: Intra Comapany transferee visa. I'm a Senior Manager for the company.

The company i work for and have done for over 10 years now, approached me with an opportunity to go to our Canadian offices and assist with the growth of the business.

They said they will get me an Intra Company Transferee work permit, all good.

My questions are:
1 Am i entitled to take my wife and 3 children aged 1,3 & 11 years with me .

2 What is the process of getting them visas and how is it done

3 Ive read my wife would be able to apply for an open work permit (how does she do this) Ive read it has to be submitted at the same time as my application.

The CiC website is what ive been looking at however it doesnt answer the above, well not that i can find it.

Im funding the relocation myself as its not something the company offer for various reasons. The company will sort my visa but have said i need to do my families.

Any advice or factual information would be greatly received

Many Thanks

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
mark5116 said:
Hi All

I hope my post finds you all well.

I'm looking for information on following subject: Intra Comapany transferee visa. I'm a Senior Manager for the company.

The company i work for and have done for over 10 years now, approached me with an opportunity to go to our Canadian offices and assist with the growth of the business.

They said they will get me an Intra Company Transferee work permit, all good.

My questions are:
1 Am i entitled to take my wife and 3 children aged 1,3 & 11 years with me .

2 What is the process of getting them visas and how is it done

3 Ive read my wife would be able to apply for an open work permit (how does she do this) Ive read it has to be submitted at the same time as my application.

The CiC website is what ive been looking at however it doesnt answer the above, well not that i can find it.

Im funding the relocation myself as its not something the company offer for various reasons. The company will sort my visa but have said i need to do my families.

Any advice or factual information would be greatly received

Many Thanks
Not sure about this one but personally I'd be questioning who I work for.

If i understand right, they are requesting you to move to Canada to help with the expansion of the business. However, they aren't prepared to help you with any relocation or shipping and they've told you that if you want your family to go with you then you have to sort that out yourself?

Almost of of the companies I know in this situation would engage a professional relocation company to assist you and your family in making the move, they can sort out everything from visas, to shipping, to even finding a house and schools for your children.

Seems pretty tight of them if you've been there 10 years

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Generally, although not all, companies would at least given what they are asking an employee to do would at least pay for a look see trip so that the employee can get many of the questions being asked answered on the ground.

An intra company transfer even if a temporary assignment with a family in tow should not be underestimated and is as close to actually emigrating as you can get without actually emigrating, especially the costs. Maybe the company are not expecting you to go back to the UK hence the reluctance apart from your visa to pay for anything else. But then again my own experience was from a multi national viewpoint where everything apart from schools was managed through HR in each country who were used to the process.

Also believe some of your questions have been answered in another forum (UK biased) but no harm in looking for answers here although many posters here are from outside Europe either currently or in the past however the answers to your questions will be relevant regardless.