+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

internship on study permit

crodney

Jun 27, 2016
Hi,

Isn't it possible to use my study permit to get an internship that will not count for credits and is not part of my program?

I'm majoring in computer science, but I'm not enrolled in the co-op program. I know that the study permit allows me to work part time while I'm studying and full time during summer vacations, so couldn't I just use it to get an internship or a summer job in my field? If so, would the employer need an LMIA to hire me?

Thank you

mikedonald24

Jul 10, 2016
If the internship is during summer, then your study permit will allow you to work.

If the internship is during Fall/Winter terms then you will have to apply for a Co-op work permit (even if you are not enrolled in a co-op program). LMIA is not required for internships

crodney

Jun 27, 2016
mikedonald24 said:
If the internship is during summer, then your study permit will allow you to work.

If the internship is during Fall/Winter terms then you will have to apply for a Co-op work permit (even if you are not enrolled in a co-op program). LMIA is not required for internships
so from what i understood, the co-op work permit is only required if the co-op is part of my program (or during the fall/winter semester) if not, then i can just get an internship during the summer. is that right?

mikedonald24

Jul 10, 2016
crodney said:
so from what i understood, the co-op work permit is only required if the co-op is part of my program (or during the fall/winter semester) if not, then i can just get an internship during the summer. is that right?
Yes that is right since your study permit allows you to work full time during summer