+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship Eligibility for Part-Time Final Semester

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
For an international student in the Computer Science program (bachelor, non co-op), planning to take two courses (part-time) in the last semester (Fall 2025), is it possible to do a full-time internship in the preceding Summer 2025? Is maintaining full-time student status in the final semester necessary to be eligible for a full-time internship in the summer, or is part-time status acceptable?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
For an international student in the Computer Science program (bachelor, non co-op), planning to take two courses (part-time) in the last semester (Fall 2025), is it possible to do a full-time internship in the preceding Summer 2025? Is maintaining full-time student status in the final semester necessary to be eligible for a full-time internship in the summer, or is part-time status acceptable?
If not in a co-op program then internship is not required for graduation. So you are graduating in Fall 2025 and if your only part time semester (and your last) then apply for PGWP. On PGWP, you can start your internship.

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
If not in a co-op program then internship is not required for graduation. So you are graduating in Fall 2025 and if your only part time semester (and your last) then apply for PGWP. On PGWP, you can start your internship.
This internship is quite necessary since the job market for new graduates isn't looking good. Also, most of these internships require students to return to the university in the next semester so a PGWP wouldn't be helpful for the internship in this case.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This internship is quite necessary since the job market for new graduates isn't looking good. Also, most of these internships require students to return to the university in the next semester so a PGWP wouldn't be helpful for the internship in this case.
So if just during your scheduled, summer break then it is just a summer job.

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
So if just during your scheduled, summer break then it is just a summer job.
I've heard that to work full-time during the scheduled summer break, we are required to be full-time students in the following semester. However, I'm not sure if there's an exception for the last semester, similar to the exception that allows us to take part-time courses in our final semester. It's unclear if this exception also applies to the work rule during the scheduled break.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I've heard that to work full-time during the scheduled summer break, we are required to be full-time students in the following semester. However, I'm not sure if there's an exception for the last semester, similar to the exception that allows us to take part-time courses in our final semester. It's unclear if this exception also applies to the work rule during the scheduled break.
You can be part time in your last semester only. Read the rules of PGWP.

Reactions: inkpot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But if I am part time in my last semester, can I work full-time during the previous summer (scheduled break)?
You are allowed to study part-time in your last semester and still qualify for PGWP but you still have to follow the rules associated with being an international student. Once you graduate you can work FT while you also apply for PGWP.