+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship and Co-op ( Pros and Cons)

sageorge

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hello Group,

I was wondering if someone could drop some light on this topic. I have come to an understanding that having either of this serves beneficial at the end of a course as you get to directly impress possible employers of your capabilities thereby increasing your chance of job prospects . The only other difference being co-op is a paid job an internship is not ( Unless the company chooses to pay you). Seniors, please comment and help us newbies.

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
Both are paid. Very few companies offer non-paid nowadays. Doing internship/co-op is essential to securing a position after graduation. I've got friends with good co-op/ internship experience got hired with big companies having low GPAs. I've also gotten friends who were 4.0 students and struggled to find jobs dur to the lack of working experience.

The main difference, I think is that internships usually last for a semester - usually Summer. Interns are expected to work fulltime during this period - no school.
Co-op runs concurrently during the school year. Usually a part-time position - say 20 hours/ wk.

Either way, a lot of people and myself included get fulltime job offer from the company where they interned by the end of their internship. It's a great way to secure a fulltime job after graduation and also a great way to earn some extra bucks for pizzas during the school year. :D

sageorge

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thats really good to know, vdang.

Now does province has any affect on the prospects? Meaning does the job prospect deter from province to province?

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
sageorge said:
Thats really good to know, vdang.

Now does province has any affect on the prospects? Meaning does the job prospect deter from province to province?
I would say yes. Job prospect coming out of school depends a lot on the local job market (if you were to look for jobs locally). Depends on what you want to do but generally a place with higher population tends to have more job opportunities. But again, it depends a lot on your major and the strength of the local job market for that field.

sageorge

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Vdang,

Thank you for replying. I have read and understood that Toronto in particular has its own flaws. How difficult is it to migrate from one province to another? Also, would u happen to know the job prospects of project management. My course offers an internship which is why I chose the program. But I also wonder of the kind of jobs given on graduation. Would u or anyone here be kind enough to shed some light on this?

Deeply appreciated.

vdang

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2014
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
17-07-14
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Jan-ish
Med's Request
17-07-14
Med's Done....
22-07-14
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
07-04-15
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-15
LANDED..........
25-04-15
sageorge said:
Vdang,

Thank you for replying. I have read and understood that Toronto in particular has its own flaws. How difficult is it to migrate from one province to another? Also, would u happen to know the job prospects of project management. My course offers an internship which is why I chose the program. But I also wonder of the kind of jobs given on graduation. Would u or anyone here be kind enough to shed some light on this?

Deeply appreciated.
I think once you're in Canada, you can move to any province you like. but to maintain immigration status, you might have to be enrolled to a school in that province. I don't think it's an issue to go to school in Toronto and do a co-op in another province for 3-8 months. The level of your education sort of determine the jobs you would apply for upon graduation. you can start out as a project engineer/analysis and move your way up to project manager. it's rare that you would become a project manager immediately after graduation unless you've gained some work experience before. You would likely need the PMP (Project Management Professional) certificate too. A quick search on Google can show you jobs in different provinces in Canada. Try project management job in "...."