+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students in Canada for Express Entry

stephyclare

Mar 23, 2015
Hello,
I am an international student currently studying in Canada. I was wondering if international students who have a job offers are eligible for the express entry? Does anyone no of an international student that has gotten invitation to apply (ITA) through express entry?

Thanks

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
After you have graduated, you can apply for post graduate work permit PGWP. And after you have worked in canada for 1 year, you can create EE profile thru CEC and wait for your draw.

However while PGWP is open and exempt from LMIA, PGWP with a job offer (but no LMIA) doesn't get 600 points in CRS. So for most PGWP who don't LMIA to start with, chances are low in points against others. (Now that required points has dropped to 481, futures are much brighter). Since you are still studying and you won't be applying at least 1 year later, nobody really knows what the policies and required points are gonna look like.

For a international grad to have 481 points, I'd imagine s/he will have a Master or PhD and perfect score in language test.

stephyclare

Mar 23, 2015
mf4361 said:
After you have graduated, you can apply for post graduate work permit PGWP. And after you have worked in canada for 1 year, you can create EE profile thru CEC and wait for your draw.

However while PGWP is open and exempt from LMIA, PGWP with a job offer (but no LMIA) doesn't get 600 points in CRS. So for most PGWP who don't LMIA to start with, chances are low in points against others. (Now that required points has dropped to 481, futures are much brighter). Since you are still studying and you won't be applying at least 1 year later, nobody really knows what the policies and required points are gonna look like.

For a international grad to have 481 points, I'd imagine s/he will have a Master or PhD and perfect score in language test.
Thanks for taking out your time to reply, i really appreciate. I want to know, if i have a job offer as a student, lets say i am a nursing student and i have a part-time job as a Nursing attendant/health care aide, will i be eligible if i apply for the express entry?

mikek27

Oct 15, 2014
mf4361 said:

Hi MF,

I was just checking my eligibility under the FSW program and I came across 2 contradictory statements regarding points for work experience and was wondering if any of you can clarify this for me:

It says on the FSW site that the work experience (outside of Canada) must be at least 1 year (I have about 2.5 in total) ...and in one NOC code ....but does not say "in one job only"
(reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp)

BUT....

When you go to fill out the Come To Canada website, it says that it needs to be in 1 job only Huh??
"..In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation...."

I graduated in 2012 and got a full-time job in NOC 2175 in New Zealand on September 2012 to July 15th 2013 and my 2nd job started July 16th 2013 to Jan 17th 2015

I didn't have a gap or day off transitioning between those 2 jobs. BUt they're 2 jobs ........and CIC won't count that ? And will only count 1 year in total (in my 2nd job ) Huh

This is what basically will make or break my eligibility for FSW to get into the pool.

Can anyone clarify this for me please ??

Thanks
Michael

PS: I'm currently on a 1 year visa (WHP) working in NOC 2175

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will try to clear more on this.

Part time job applicants cannot make EE profile because they cannot gain much experience in one year and it is not important to wait for one year to create your EE profile. If you have work experience from home country you are good to go.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
@stephyclare
If you work during you study (like internships or work placement (in your case?)) It will not be counted for CEC and CRS points at all. So in that case, the answer becomes No. You will need to finish your entire course (study and work part) and officially graduated, then your job after that would be counted towards CEC.

As for part time jobs, @Jaiveer Singh is part right. CIC defines full-time as 30 hrs or more and below that as part-time. You will need to 30*52 = 1560 hrs of part-time work to be eligible in CEC. E.g., if you work 15 hrs per week, you will need 2 years continuous to make the 1560 hrs. You can combine hours from multiple jobs, but calculation is a bit complicated.

@mikek27
1 occupation means 1 NOC code. You can have 2 different employers of the same NOC

mikek27

Oct 15, 2014
mf4361 said:
@ stephyclare
If you work during you study (like internships or work placement (in your case?)) It will not be counted for CEC and CRS points at all. So in that case, the answer becomes No. You will need to finish your entire course (study and work part) and officially graduated, then your job after that would be counted towards CEC.

As for part time jobs, @ Jaiveer Singh is part right. CIC defines full-time as 30 hrs or more and below that as part-time. You will need to 30*52 = 1560 hrs of part-time work to be eligible in CEC. E.g., if you work 15 hrs per week, you will need 2 years continuous to make the 1560 hrs. You can combine hours from multiple jobs, but calculation is a bit complicated.

@ mikek27
1 occupation means 1 NOC code. You can have 2 different employers of the same NOC
THanks MF , one more thing, when it says "Continuous" , can you define that ?

Those 2 jobs I had in NZ , when I left the first job I started the 2nd job on the next day. ..Is that continous enough ?

And also , when I left the 2nd job on January 17th 2015 , I got my Canadian job (2175 noc) on Feb 23 , I"m guessing that's not continuous then ? And I can't count this one as part of FSW ?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
mikek27 said:
THanks MF , one more thing, when it says "Continuous" , can you define that ?

Those 2 jobs I had in NZ , when I left the first job I started the 2nd job on the next day. ..Is that continous enough ?

And also , when I left the 2nd job on January 17th 2015 , I got my Canadian job (2175 noc) on Feb 23 , I"m guessing that's not continuous then ? And I can't count this one as part of FSW ?
What i meant was those unpaid times won't get counted. As in my hypothetical case (15hr/week), if you have 1 month unpaid week off you will need 25 months (instead of 24).

As long as they are all in the same NOC, they should all be counted.

stephyclare

Mar 23, 2015
mf4361 said:
@ stephyclare

As for part time jobs, @ Jaiveer Singh is part right. CIC defines full-time as 30 hrs or more and below that as part-time. You will need to 30*52 = 1560 hrs of part-time work to be eligible in CEC. E.g., if you work 15 hrs per week, you will need 2 years continuous to make the 1560 hrs. You can combine hours from multiple jobs, but calculation is a bit complicated.

@ mikek27
Thanks MF for your response, i really appreciate. In my case, i have a paid job (Nursing attendant/health care aide) alongside a job offer letter. I work 16-20 hours every week and works 40 hours or more during school break. Do you think i will be eligible or not?

Thanks

acp1504

Mar 18, 2015
Hi mf please guide me.
I have 4 years bachelor university degree from my home country(ECA done),and i will finish my Canadian diploma(2 years degree) in April.Am i eligible for 128 CRS point in level of education(under CEC stream),If i will finish 1 year Canadian experience in NOC-B category.
Thanks in advance.

stephyclare

Mar 23, 2015
chaos123456 said:
job experience during your study will not be counted.
Thanks chaos for your response, i really appreciate. In my case, i have a paid job (Nursing attendant/health care aide) alongside a job offer letter. I work 16-20 hours every week and works 40 hours or more during school break. Do you think i will be eligible or not?

Thanks

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
stephyclare said:
Thanks chaos for your response, i really appreciate. In my case, i have a paid job (Nursing attendant/health care aide) alongside a job offer letter. I work 16-20 hours every week and works 40 hours or more during school break. Do you think i will be eligible or not?

Thanks
Are you applying for FSW or CEC? With CEC, work during studies does not count towards the requirements. This makes a certain degree of sense. If a student could have a part-time job (over two years), they wouldn't need to graduate, as they would have more than one year of experience.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
stephyclare said:
Thanks MF for your response, i really appreciate. In my case, i have a paid job (Nursing attendant/health care aide) alongside a job offer letter. I work 16-20 hours every week and works 40 hours or more during school break. Do you think i will be eligible or not?

Thanks
As I said, you worked during your study *1, it's not being counted. But you worked full-time (while not studying) for 2 year in NZ, you are good for FSW.

*1 For that, I meant after you started the program, but before official graduation.

ananda.nyn

Mar 18, 2015
As everyone is talking about express Entry system, I have a basic question. Owing to so much uncertainties in EE system, cant we just apply the old fashioned way? The old paper application system which required 67 points?

I am on a PGWP. I have a full time job offer as an electrical engineer (NOC Code A) and I did my masters degree here. Can't I just apply for PNP, wait for a year, and apply through the old system? Even though it takes time, i can apply for a bridging work permit. Is that not safe for international students?

Please let me know about this as I have to make a decision NOW to go for the EE PNP system or the older system. All your inputs are valuable!

Thank you