+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student travel during post graduate work permit and more. PLz help

Northamerican

Jul 18, 2010
Hi

I am an international student here in Ontario. I have finished my graduation and applied for PGWP. Its taking longer than usual and I wanted to know if I can travel during this time and come back from my country after one and a half month. I am from a country that requires TRV to enter Canada,

here is my case:

I have my both student permit and student visa valid until 2012. My question is can I re-enter on the basis of these 2 documents or they will question my intention ( like in case they may tell, you are done with ur graduation ,,,then y r u coming back..)

If i say i applied for PGWP, what if they want to c it?? will they deny entry ??

Can I go to usa ?? I heard that one can go to usa even if the TRV is expired !!

one more question is can I study when on PGWP??

Pls help...thanks!

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
Since you have a visa and Study permit until 2012 you can take a trip outside canada and return before the expiry of the visa. You just have to make sure that your student visa is a multiple entry visa and not single entry. This would be written on your visa which is stamped on the passport. Incase you have a single entry visa; you should apply for multiple entry visa and then you are good to go and return until your student visa expires.

No you cannot study in a PGWP....this will be stated on your work permit. Since you are changing status from a student to worker, it is illegal to study on a work permit.

Jattkhehra

Feb 17, 2012
Northamerican said:
Hi

I am an international student here in Ontario. I have finished my graduation and applied for PGWP. Its taking longer than usual and I wanted to know if I can travel during this time and come back from my country after one and a half month. I am from a country that requires TRV to enter Canada,

here is my case:

I have my both student permit and student visa valid until 2012. My question is can I re-enter on the basis of these 2 documents or they will question my intention ( like in case they may tell, you are done with ur graduation ,,,then y r u coming back..)

If i say i applied for PGWP, what if they want to c it?? will they deny entry ??

Can I go to usa ?? I heard that one can go to usa even if the TRV is expired !!

one more question is can I study when on PGWP??

Pls help...thanks!
Hello friend,
I am also a international student here in Manitoba,Canada. I have same situation as you posted here. Please can you suggest me, if you already visited your country, did you get any problem? Any issues at port of entry??

In my case, my TRV(multiple entry) and study permit are valid till sept 2012, and I am graduating this April. After that I want to visit my home in May and June and then return back here. Now I will apply my work permit in April but as it takes about month to come, I want to meet my family. So when I will be coming back to re-enter canada, I will have a valid study permit and TRV(multiple entry),but technically I am graduated by that time. So will there be any problem at the port of entry. Or I should get my work permit mailed to me by my friends once it reached here? If you have faced the same situation, was there any problem. Please reply me soon, I want to book a ticket.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jattkhehra said:
Hello friend,
I am also a international student here in Manitoba,Canada. I have same situation as you posted here. Please can you suggest me, if you already visited your country, did you get any problem? Any issues at port of entry??

In my case, my TRV(multiple entry) and study permit are valid till sept 2012, and I am graduating this April. After that I want to visit my home in May and June and then return back here. Now I will apply my work permit in April but as it takes about month to come, I want to meet my family. So when I will be coming back to re-enter canada, I will have a valid study permit and TRV(multiple entry),but technically I am graduated by that time. So will there be any problem at the port of entry. Or I should get my work permit mailed to me by my friends once it reached here? If you have faced the same situation, was there any problem. Please reply me soon, I want to book a ticket.
Hi,

1. It doesn't matter when you graduate. To enter/re-enter Canada, you need a valid passport + a valid study permit + a valid TRV.

Jattkhehra

Feb 17, 2012
enfield said:
Hi,

1. It doesn't matter when you graduate. To enter/re-enter Canada, you need a valid passport + a valid study permit + a valid TRV.
Thank you for your quick reply.
Are you sure with this? Our international student center representative told me that there may be issues at port of entry because technically I am no more a student although I have valid study permit and TRV.

I have one more question, can we apply post-graduate work permit online outside of Canada. Like can I apply work permit after reaching home?

Lots of thanks in advance.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jattkhehra said:
Thank you for your quick reply.
Are you sure with this? Our international student center representative told me that there may be issues at port of entry because technically I am no more a student although I have valid study permit and TRV.

I have one more question, can we apply post-graduate work permit online outside of Canada. Like can I apply work permit after reaching home?

Lots of thanks in advance.
Hi,

1. It's optional (not mandatory) to rely on my post.
2. Yes, you can apply online PGWP from anywhere, the application processing fee is payable in CAD only. You MUST apply within 90 days of receiving passing certificate/transcript/something similar in written.

new0507

Jun 18, 2014
Hi!
DId you have any problems entering the borders? I am in the same situation, my study permit and visa expires until september but I plan to apply before leaving canada and come back before september. Any advice and suggestion is much appreciated!