+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inside Canada common law forms

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Hello

I'm hoping someone can tell me on the application forms who is the co-signer?

I'm confused. I am the principal applicant (New Zealander) my partner who is Canadian is obviously the sponsor. Who is the co signer?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You don't have one. So you can just skip any forms or questions asking about a co-sponsor or co-signer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Kiwiz said:
Ok great, thanks.

Who would normally be a co-signer? What is one for?
I believe the most common case is when you are sponsoring a parent or child, there would typically be something like a husband & wife as the sponsor. So one would be the sponsor and one the co-sponsor/co-signer. A co-signer is typically used where you have to meet a minimum financial or income amount, which is not the case in spousal applications.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Maybe none of my business, but I'll say it anyway! ;-)

Even if you're in Canada, you can apply outland - and through Sydney as you are from NZ. Sydney is one of the fastest office, and you could be done with your PR by the time you would get first stage approval through inland... if you're from a visa-exempt country, and with a fast VO, there is almost no advantages to going the inland route...

But maybe you knew that already!
Good luck,
Sweden

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Hey there

Thanks for that.

yeah, I'm a bit confused about it all.

I have not sent off my application yet.

I have heard outland is much faster. But I though since I am living here and have been for 6 months woith my partner, that i need to apply inland? Is it still legal to do an outland application? Do we still state on it that we are living here in Canada together?

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
15-11-2012, AIP - February 3, 2013
Med's Done....
May 2012
You can apply outland which is faster just renew your visit visa while stating you have an outland application.With inland it takes 6 months to get open work permit but if you get a file transfer before that it can take up to years without being able to work . so outland might be better. It is not illegal. its your choice to do an outland or inland. The downside with outland is if they require an interview then you will have to go back to your home country for it. If you already did all the forms then go with inland lol.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Kiwiz said:
Hey there

Thanks for that.

yeah, I'm a bit confused about it all.

I have not sent off my application yet.

I have heard outland is much faster. But I though since I am living here and have been for 6 months woith my partner, that i need to apply inland? Is it still legal to do an outland application? Do we still state on it that we are living here in Canada together?
It's completely legal to send an outland app even if in Canada, and you can state that you are living in Canada together. If you see the Inland guide, it even says so ... something along the line that if you can benefit from a faster answer, you can apply outland. A lot of people from visa-exempt country are doing it, without trouble. AS mentioned, if you are required to attend an interview, you will have to go to Sydney. However - for visa-exempt, straight forward case, that's quite unlikely.... if you prepare well your application, and send all the proofs, you most likely will not be required to attend an interview.

So you could gather all the proofs, send it outland, and wait in Canada. You need to maintain your status though - if you are a visa that will expire soon, then you need to convert it to a visitor visa ( it can be done online, costs 75$) to wait as there is no implied status with an outland application. If you apply for a visa extension, just explain that you are applying outland, and ask for 6 months, or even more if you feel like it Include proofs that you have applied ( PR fees paid, or sponsorship approval letter if you have it), and it should be given.

Read the first post by Leon ( not the whole thread, only the first one) to give you an overview of the process, and come back with questions if needed!
Good luck
Sweden

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for that. Some of the forms are the same for both anyway, am just looking at outland ones now.
If I did have to go back to Sydney for an interview that's no problem, but I agree unlikely, I think we are a pretty straight forward legitimate case.

With the NZ work visa though, it's only one year, and you can not get another one. (unlike aussies, 2 years and can re apply) mine expires in october, but I knew I could get implied status with inland..I didn't realise I can't get that with outland. But you say i can get an extension on my current one?

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
15-11-2012, AIP - February 3, 2013
Med's Done....
May 2012
Im not sure if you can extend the work visa but you can always apply for a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) once your work permit expires and that will give you status, it is most likely approved as you have a sponsorship applied outland, just make sure you submit it 30 days before your work permit expiry and that in instant implied status. I think it is a lot better for you to apply outland.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Kiwiz said:
Thanks for that. Some of the forms are the same for both anyway, am just looking at outland ones now.
If I did have to go back to Sydney for an interview that's no problem, but I agree unlikely, I think we are a pretty straight forward legitimate case.

With the NZ work visa though, it's only one year, and you can not get another one. (unlike aussies, 2 years and can re apply) mine expires in october, but I knew I could get implied status with inland..I didn't realise I can't get that with outland. But you say i can get an extension on my current one?
if you're on an IEC visa, EVEN IF you apply inland, you won't be able to extend it. It will give you the right to stay in Canada, but you won't be able to work until you get first stage approval If you continue working with your current visa, once you have filed, you will be illegal - there is a similar case to yours right here! http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-work-t132571.0.html read the thread and see what scylla explained about being illegal. SO if your only reason for applying Inland is to keep on working, then that won't work. you will be allowed to stay in Canada, but not work until after stage 1.

With outland - your IEC visa won't be extended, BUT you can apply to change your IEC visa to a tourist visa. Like this, you will stay legally in Canada. You won't be allowed to work, but you can stay with your partner and wait until the PR is issued.

However, if your IEC visa expires in october 2013 ( I assume), then you'll have your PR before that most likely!! as Sydney is a fast office. If for any reason you don't have your PR by october, then you can stay in Canada as you are from a visa-exempt country. You will have to apply to "change your status" from worker to tourist - can be done online, and it's a straightforward procedure.

I agree with darwinwap - outland is probably best for your case.
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
here is the thread for Sydney applicants http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/australian-or-nz-applicants-share-timeline-here-t105255.315.html

and the spreadsheet to have an idea how long the process has been for applicants going through Sydney ( of course you have to add the stage 1 to that, but these days it's pretty fast!). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmVlTaJuxc5kdFlsVkRfVFVOTWtCYjVjdU9tR1o2aXc#gid=0

Good luck,
Sweden

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Thanks so much for all your help! Greatly appreciated!

I thought with the inland way the implied status meant I could still work.

Yes IEC expires in October so hopefully that would be around the time the PR comes through anyway.

Cheers

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Also one more thing-

To change my status from worker to tourist/visitor- can I do that just by crossing the border and re entering as a visitor ? or can I do it online?