+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry Regarding Visa Application with Expiring Passport

fokhrul

Oct 14, 2024
Hello,

I am an incoming PhD student at the University of Alberta, set to begin my program in January 2025. I am in the process of applying for a student visa, as required by my prospective supervisor. But I have encountered an issue with my passport.

My current passport is valid for only two and a half more years, and since my PhD program will take more than four years to complete, I am concerned this may cause complications in the future. I am planning to renew my passport, but I need to apply for the visa as soon as possible to meet my supervisor's requirements.

Could you please advise if it is possible to apply for the student visa with my current passport and later get the visa stamp transferred to the renewed passport? Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated, as it will help me plan accordingly.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

AndyT

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Hello,

I am an incoming PhD student at the University of Alberta, set to begin my program in January 2025. I am in the process of applying for a student visa, as required by my prospective supervisor. But I have encountered an issue with my passport.

My current passport is valid for only two and a half more years, and since my PhD program will take more than four years to complete, I am concerned this may cause complications in the future. I am planning to renew my passport, but I need to apply for the visa as soon as possible to meet my supervisor's requirements.

Could you please advise if it is possible to apply for the student visa with my current passport and later get the visa stamp transferred to the renewed passport? Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated, as it will help me plan accordingly.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
For stamping, you can send both the expired and renewed passport together however check first whether passport renewal window is open or not. For example, my home country doesn’t allow passport renewal if it has more than 1 year to expire. I would have gone with the old passport and renewed it during the study in Canada as SOON as possible when the window opens.
It may cause pain for your future applications, if you delay your passport renewal once it enters eligible window.