+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship + OWP: Detailed Checklist & Questions

ilya.can.visa

Jul 15, 2018
Hello all,

I realize that this has been discussed many many times across multiple threads. However, I thought that by stating my case (relatively typical), a detailed list (as I know it) of required items for inland sponsorship application as well as my questions in a single post, it would make it quicker and easier to get / provide relevant answers for me and for you. Also, as the time goes by, some changes are bound to happen to the sponsorship process and therefore answers given in the past may no longer be truly accurate / correct. I thank you very much in advance for your help.

The situation:
  • I am a Canadian citizen
  • My wife is not a Canadian citizen, but she has a valid Canadian multiple entry visitor's visa up until 2021
  • My wife has been in Canada twice already for a cumulative total duration of 5 months
  • We got married officially in Canada in April 2019, simple civil ceremony at home
  • We have known each other for 1.5 years as of this month
  • We are planning to have the actual wedding celebration end of July in her country and then travel to Canada together within a few days after. The tickets are already bought, and she has a return ticket
  • We are planning to apply for inland sponsorship + open work permit as soon as possible after, in August
List of required items (as I know it):
  • Complete all the application forms for spousal sponsorship as per the official checklist and guide on Government of Canada website
  • Complete all the application forms for the permanent residence as per the official checklist and guide
  • Complete all the application forms for open work permit (OWP) as per the official checklist and guide
  • Receipt of payment for the sponsorship application
  • Receipt of payment for biometrics
  • Photos for principal applicant (PA) as required by the official guide
  • Passport photocopy (sponsor, e.g. me)
  • Passport photocopy (PA, my wife)
  • Birth certificate photocopy (PA, my wife)
  • Workbook/Labour book for my wife as per CIC's description "The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 or older must provide a copy of all pages of their labour book/workbook if they hold a passport for this country"
  • Canadian marriage certificate photocopy
  • Police check certificate / letter from her country's local police department
  • Photos (together)
    • Civil ceremony photos
    • Wedding photos
    • Travel photos
    • Home / casual
  • Wedding invitation(s)
  • PayPal transactions transcripts (of me transferring money to her, such as for wedding preparation, travel, etc)
  • Airline tickets or copies or e-mail confirmation(s)
    • Myself traveling to her
    • Her traveling to Canada
    • Her mother traveling to Canada to meet my side of the family
  • Overseas flower delivery e-mail receipts / confirmation
  • Theater tickets
  • Train tickets
  • Various receipts, such as hotels when we traveled within Canada / her country
  • Chat, SMS, WhatsApp, Skype, E-mail transcript / print outs / screenshots
  • Education certificates / Diplomas for my wife
All of the above items are to be submitted as one application package to the inland processing center.

Questions
  1. There are no joint accounts, bills, property, agreements that we have both our names on at this time and she is currently in her country. Therefore, I have the following questions on this item:
    1. Does the above list contain sufficient support for the genuineness of our relationship without the joint accounts, bills, property, agreements?
    2. Can we open joint bank account and her personal mobile account as soon as we are back in August and apply with those new accounts within the same month?
    3. What should be written in the detailed explanation within the application as to the reason why we did not have joint account, etc?
  2. Receipts of payment should be originals or copies are sufficient?
  3. Is there anything in the list above that should NOT be included with the application package?
  4. Is there anything additional that is helpful to submit with the application package which is NOT in the list above? Such as my T4's, employment letter, bill copies
  5. Does the relationship duration of 1.5 years considered to be too short or it does not matter as long as there is sufficient support of genuine relationship?
  6. Which documents require authorized certified translations by "A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada" (as per government website):
    1. Police certificate confirming the absence of convictions / criminal record to be translated from my wife country's native language into English
    2. Chats, SMS, WhatsApp, Skype, E-mail transcripts / print outs / screenshots
    3. Wife's education certificates / diplomas
    4. Workbook/Labour book from my wife's country, as per CIC's description "The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 or older must provide a copy of all pages of their labour book/workbook if they hold a passport for this country"
    5. Birth certificate photocopy
  7. Translations
    1. Are these best to be done in Canada or only in Canada?
  8. Are there any documents in the above list which require notarization by a notary?
    1. Principle applicant passport photocopy?
    2. Marriage certificate photocopy? Can I submit an original certified copy of the marriage license as I received it from the office of the registrar?
  9. Photos
    1. Is there a limit on the number of photos to submit?
    2. Which photos are best to choose?
    3. Do the photos need to have a description on the back and signed by both of us?
  10. Transcripts
    1. Which transcripts are best to choose? Which topics
    2. For which time periods? Which time ranges
    3. Screenshots are more authentic, is this correct?
  11. In the event that we expect a child before PR process is completed
    1. Would the newborn need to be added to the application which is not yet completed?
  12. Is there anything additional that I should be aware of for the inland PR application?
  13. Is there anything additional that I should be aware of for the OWP application?
Once again, thank you very much in advance for your inputs.

Best regards,

Ilya

Last edited:

Donna2019

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
The process is a long and tedious one ! My husband and I have been together over 10 years and the list of documents was so lengthy. Finnaly we decided to get help since i was pregnant and had a dependent. It may cost a bit much butvit is well worth it in the end.Everything has to be so detailed simply things we may have look over the representative was able to spot the errors. If you can afford it get a reputable representative. Even with the representative it was a tedious process some days i just wanted to scream. Finally all was sent it.
The last thing you need is application being sent back.
Good Luck

rachelD

Nov 20, 2012
Hello all,

I realize that this has been discussed many many times across multiple threads. However, I thought that by stating my case (relatively typical), a detailed list (as I know it) of required items for inland sponsorship application as well as my questions in a single post, it would make it quicker and easier to get / provide relevant answers for me and for you. Also, as the time goes by, some changes are bound to happen to the sponsorship process and therefore answers given in the past may no longer be truly accurate / correct. I thank you very much in advance for your help.

The situation:
  • I am a Canadian citizen
  • My wife is not a Canadian citizen, but she has a valid Canadian multiple entry visitor's visa up until 2021
  • My wife has been in Canada twice already for a cumulative total duration of 5 months
  • We got married officially in Canada in April 2019, simple civil ceremony at home
  • We have known each other for 1.5 years as of this month
  • We are planning to have the actual wedding celebration end of July in her country and then travel to Canada together within a few days after. The tickets are already bought, and she has a return ticket
  • We are planning to apply for inland sponsorship + open work permit as soon as possible after, in August
List of required items (as I know it):
  • Complete all the application forms for spousal sponsorship as per the official checklist and guide on Government of Canada website
  • Complete all the application forms for the permanent residence as per the official checklist and guide
  • Complete all the application forms for open work permit (OWP) as per the official checklist and guide
  • Receipt of payment for the sponsorship application
  • Receipt of payment for biometrics
  • Photos for principal applicant (PA) as required by the official guide
  • Passport photocopy (sponsor, e.g. me)
  • Passport photocopy (PA, my wife)
  • Birth certificate photocopy (PA, my wife)
  • Workbook/Labour book for my wife as per CIC's description "The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 or older must provide a copy of all pages of their labour book/workbook if they hold a passport for this country"
  • Canadian marriage certificate photocopy
  • Police check certificate / letter from her country's local police department
  • Photos (together)
    • Civil ceremony photos
    • Wedding photos
    • Travel photos
    • Home / casual
  • Wedding invitation(s)
  • PayPal transactions transcripts (of me transferring money to her, such as for wedding preparation, travel, etc)
  • Airline tickets or copies or e-mail confirmation(s)
    • Myself traveling to her
    • Her traveling to Canada
    • Her mother traveling to Canada to meet my side of the family
  • Overseas flower delivery e-mail receipts / confirmation
  • Theater tickets
  • Train tickets
  • Various receipts, such as hotels when we traveled within Canada / her country
  • Chat, SMS, WhatsApp, Skype, E-mail transcript / print outs / screenshots
  • Education certificates / Diplomas for my wife
All of the above items are to be submitted as one application package to the inland processing center.

Questions
  1. There are no joint accounts, bills, property, agreements that we have both our names on at this time and she is currently in her country. Therefore, I have the following questions on this item:
    1. Does the above list contain sufficient support for the genuineness of our relationship without the joint accounts, bills, property, agreements?
    2. Can we open joint bank account and her personal mobile account as soon as we are back in August and apply with those new accounts within the same month?
    3. What should be written in the detailed explanation within the application as to the reason why we did not have joint account, etc?
  2. Receipts of payment should be originals or copies are sufficient?
  3. Is there anything in the list above that should NOT be included with the application package?
  4. Is there anything additional that is helpful to submit with the application package which is NOT in the list above? Such as my T4's, employment letter, bill copies
  5. Does the relationship duration of 1.5 years considered to be too short or it does not matter as long as there is sufficient support of genuine relationship?
  6. Which documents require authorized certified translations by "A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada" (as per government website):
    1. Police certificate confirming the absence of convictions / criminal record to be translated from my wife country's native language into English
    2. Chats, SMS, WhatsApp, Skype, E-mail transcripts / print outs / screenshots
    3. Wife's education certificates / diplomas
    4. Workbook/Labour book from my wife's country, as per CIC's description "The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 or older must provide a copy of all pages of their labour book/workbook if they hold a passport for this country"
    5. Birth certificate photocopy
  7. Translations
    1. Are these best to be done in Canada or only in Canada?
  8. Are there any documents in the above list which require notarization by a notary?
    1. Principle applicant passport photocopy?
    2. Marriage certificate photocopy? Can I submit an original certified copy of the marriage license as I received it from the office of the registrar?
  9. Photos
    1. Is there a limit on the number of photos to submit?
    2. Which photos are best to choose?
    3. Do the photos need to have a description on the back and signed by both of us?
  10. Transcripts
    1. Which transcripts are best to choose? Which topics
    2. For which time periods? Which time ranges
    3. Screenshots are more authentic, is this correct?
  11. In the event that we expect a child before PR process is completed
    1. Would the newborn need to be added to the application which is not yet completed?
  12. Is there anything additional that I should be aware of for the inland PR application?
  13. Is there anything additional that I should be aware of for the OWP application?
Once again, thank you very much in advance for your inputs.

Best regards,

Ilya

Hello, I was reading your post and our situation is almost the same. Were you able to get answers for your questions? If yes, would you mind sharing it on this thread?

Can you share your timeline of application.

Thank you so much in advance