+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland proof of legal status.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hope someone can help me, im trying to decide how to do my application and I have some questions about the papers I will get to proof my status in Canada.

Im more familiar with an outland application.
I know that with this one i will need a extended stay permit to be able to be in canada while im waiting for the PR.
Now this permit has a expiry date and proofs that I can be in canada as a tourist until that date.

If i decide to apply inland. What document do you get to prove your legal status in canada?
I know that you can apply for a work permit but I wont need to do this, im planing to just send the PR application.
However, once they received, how do i proof that im legal here, for example to rent my apartment?
What paper will i be able to use for this? and how do i show when it expires since as i understand i will be on implied status until application is done, so how you show this?

Also
In outland i know that I will get an AOR by email, then Sponsorship Approval with a letter saying where the application will be sent for processing and finally access to ECAS.

What happens with inland? Do you receive the same AOR? Is it different? Do you get access to ECAS before you get sponsorship approval?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot for your time!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
amhel26 said:
If i decide to apply inland. What document do you get to prove your legal status in canada?
I know that you can apply for a work permit but I wont need to do this, im planing to just send the PR application.
However, once they received, how do i proof that im legal here, for example to rent my apartment?
What paper will i be able to use for this? and how do i show when it expires since as i understand i will be on implied status until application is done, so how you show this?
You don't get implied status by just applying for PR inland. You only get implied status by applying for your OWP along with inland PR. So if you don't apply for OWP, you won't get implied status and will need to keep officially extending your visitor status to stay legal.

If submitting an OWP, there is no proof of status hence the term "implied". The only proof you would need is the visa or status that shows you had valid status at time of applying, and the receipt that shows you submitted the OWP & Inland PR app (could be fee receipt, that someone received it at CIC, etc).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amhel26 said:
Hope someone can help me, im trying to decide how to do my application and I have some questions about the papers I will get to proof my status in Canada.

Im more familiar with an outland application.
I know that with this one i will need a extended stay permit to be able to be in canada while im waiting for the PR.
Now this permit has a expiry date and proofs that I can be in canada as a tourist until that date.

Also
In outland i know that I will get an AOR by email, then Sponsorship Approval with a letter saying where the application will be sent for processing and finally access to ECAS.

What happens with inland? Do you receive the same AOR? Is it different? Do you get access to ECAS before you get sponsorship approval?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot for your time!!
Do you have a stamp in your passport showing your most recent entry into Canada? If so, that becomes your proof.

If your application is received by CIC prior to the 6 months AFTER the date stamp, you will still be in status when they receive the Inland application...however, you must also include an OWP (even though you say you don't need it) because THAT is what will give you implied status throughout the PR process (basically keeping you in status).

If you apply Outland, and wish to remain in Canada, you need to apply to extend your current visitor status before it expires.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks everyone for their help.

So just to be clear..if i apply inland the OWP will be my proof. How long does it takes to get this?

Like I know the extended stay doesnt take long to receive and the SA if I applied outland will take around 90 days. So how long do inland papers take?

Finally, do I get access into ECAS with inland application? When?
I know i get ECAS when i get the SA outland.

Thanks a lot!!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amhel26 said:
Thanks everyone for their help.

So just to be clear..if i apply inland the OWP will be my proof. How long does it takes to get this?

Like I know the extended stay doesnt take long to receive and the SA if I applied outland will take around 90 days. So how long do inland papers take?

Finally, do I get access into ECAS with inland application? When?
I know i get ECAS when i get the SA outland.

Thanks a lot!!
No...the OWP will NOT prove that you have legals status (today) or even when CIC receives your application. The OWP will, however, basically extend your status as implied status.

You still need to show CIC your last entry date into Canada and that you have NOT surpassed you legal stay. THAT will be your proof of having legal status at the time that your application is received.

Some people have legal status when they apply, but let it expire because they thought the Inland application alone gives them implied status. They are later horrified to find out that they were wrong...and then realize that they do NOT qualify for an OWP under the pilot program and have to wait until they have AIP before their OWP is issued!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
it is still unknown how long the owp permit will take for new inland applicants. we don't know if the "4 months" is from the day the application is received or when cic acknowledges receipt of the application. therefore it can technically take anywhere from 4-8 months to receive the owp. since the 4 month mark for the start of the pilot program is in a couple of weeks, we may start seeing if the OWP comes quickly or not.

as for inland processing, well the first stage is currently taking 17 months, then stage 2 is 8 months. some people receive AOR after 4 months, and a lot of people have been waiting much longer. the process is different. it is not as cut and dry as outland where stage 1 is processing the sponsor and stage 2 is processing the applicant's application/relationship validity. for inland, stage 1 is processing sponsor eligibility AND relationship validity at the same time. ECAS is also quite unreliable for inland applicants. there are plenty of people who don't have access, and there are plenty of people who do. i would suggest asking in the inland threads when people actually got access to ECAS. My assumption is it takes quite a while.

If you don't NEED the owp, then i'm curious what is prompting you to apply inland? for a majority of applicants, it is not recommended and not necessary. for most applicants, you can be done with the outland process in less than a year's time. you do not need to be outside of canada to submit an outland application. you can be in canada as a visitor, worker or student AND apply outland.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks
Definetily inland is not an option, like you say specially if i dont need OWP. I just though inland application gave you implied status to be in canada, as it seems others have misunderstood too.
I honestly never thought inland still didnt mean you have a legal status in Canada, thanks for the clarification.
At least i thought Ecas might be a way to prove the application is in process but seems thats not the case either.
Thanks everyone, definetily outland is the way to go :)