+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or outland application? Please help!

ceagull

Aug 27, 2015
Hello

Im an international student living in Quebec and my partner (canadian citizen, living with me in Quebec) is considering submitting an application for spousal sponsorship so I can become a PR. I would like to submit an application inland so I can get an open work permit (I plan to finish my studies in 4-8 months), but we are planning on travelling to my home country later this year and might wait there until the PR is approved, would that be a problem? Since I'll have a valid study permit I think we could also come back sooner without any issues, right? Or will it be better to submit an outland application? Is there any stream recommended over the other one?

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

Im an international student living in Quebec and my partner (canadian citizen, living with me in Quebec) is considering submitting an application for spousal sponsorship so I can become a PR. I would like to submit an application inland so I can get an open work permit (I plan to finish my studies in 4-8 months), but we are planning on travelling to my home country later this year and might wait there until the PR is approved, would that be a problem? Since I'll have a valid study permit I think we could also come back sooner without any issues, right? Or will it be better to submit an outland application? Is there any stream recommended over the other one?

Regards
The inland process requires you to be cohabitating together in Canada. A short trip outside of Canada is fine. However if you plan to be out for a number of months, that may end up being a problem for application approval and you are likely better off applying outland. Of course with outland, there's no OWP. So you're going to have to pick if you want the flexibility to remain outside of Canada for prolonged periods of time without any chance of jeopardizing your sponsorship application or if the OWP is the priority.

The study permit does not allow you to reenter Canada. You need to be holding a valid TRV or eTA to reenter Canada.