+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland : Leaving Canada before OWP

oxolodo

Mar 1, 2019
Hi all,

My wife (Peruvian) and I (canadian citizen) recently sent our inland application for PR+OWP. We are going to Peru for 3 weeks on March 21st for our wedding ceremony (everything is already planned, plane tickets bought, etc.). I have read all the threads in this forum with similar situation and decided to take the risk of leaving 3 weeks. However, I assumed she would have gotten OWP by then.

My wife has a TRV with multiple re-entries. Her visitor status ends on February 29th. If she doesn't have the OWP by then (likely), should she :

1 - Apply for a visitor extension
2 - Go to the US border to exit/enter Canada and have a new visitor status for 6 months
3 - Keep the implicit status. Having previous visitor vs implicit status won't change anything when re-entering Canada with her TRV after our wedding.

Thanks a lot!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You were already married, right? The Peruvian ceremony is in addition to being already married?

Three weeks is at the extreme end of what people here suggest as acceptable vacation during an inland application. You run the risk of being denied reentry at the border, or the application refused because the PA is out of Canada.

Provided you have received AOR, option 3 is fine.

oxolodo

Mar 1, 2019
Thanks a lot for your clear reply! Yes, we are already married (civil). I feel we're dependant on the border agent, hopefully it will be fine. I will post my experience here afterwards. Any other input would be appreciated!

penacare

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hi all,

My wife (Peruvian) and I (canadian citizen) recently sent our inland application for PR+OWP. We are going to Peru for 3 weeks on March 21st for our wedding ceremony (everything is already planned, plane tickets bought, etc.). I have read all the threads in this forum with similar situation and decided to take the risk of leaving 3 weeks. However, I assumed she would have gotten OWP by then.

My wife has a TRV with multiple re-entries. Her visitor status ends on February 29th. If she doesn't have the OWP by then (likely), should she :

1 - Apply for a visitor extension
2 - Go to the US border to exit/enter Canada and have a new visitor status for 6 months
3 - Keep the implicit status. Having previous visitor vs implicit status won't change anything when re-entering Canada with her TRV after our wedding.

Thanks a lot!
Hey, I am in the same situation. Was your wife able ro re-enter Canada even though she overstayed her visitor status?

Regards