+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland application - Children out of status

CharCC

Apr 9, 2024
Hello everyone

I have been in Canada since 2020 with my children. I had an international student visa, which I turned into a PGWP at the end of my studies. The PGWP is valid until 2025.
My children were given study permit when we entered Canada. When I became PGWP I renewed their study permits, however their permits expired in the end of last year because that was the date their passports would expire.
In December 2023 I got ITA for CEC, and applied in February 2024.

Does the fact that my children are out of status harm our application in any way? I am assuming that if the parent is eligible to PR then the children should be as well, regardless of status.

If that is not a problem, could one of them leave the country for a 15 day trip and be allowed re-entry while our PR application is being processed?

Thank you!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello everyone

I have been in Canada since 2020 with my children. I had an international student visa, which I turned into a PGWP at the end of my studies. The PGWP is valid until 2025.
My children were given study permit when we entered Canada. When I became PGWP I renewed their study permits, however their permits expired in the end of last year because that was the date their passports would expire.
In December 2023 I got ITA for CEC, and applied in February 2024.

Does the fact that my children are out of status harm our application in any way? I am assuming that if the parent is eligible to PR then the children should be as well, regardless of status.

If that is not a problem, could one of them leave the country for a 15 day trip and be allowed re-entry while our PR application is being processed?

Thank you!
No everyone should have a status, you will be asked later if you and your dependents are out of status.

CharCC

Apr 9, 2024
No everyone should have a status, you will be asked later if you and your dependents are out of status.
Thanks for the response. Does this mean we will all be inadmissible? I have been researching and I saw that you can sponsor a spouse who is out of status, why not children?
Is there anything I could do? Should I apply for a temporary resident visa for them?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thanks for the response. Does this mean we will all be inadmissible? I have been researching and I saw that you can sponsor a spouse who is out of status, why not children?
Is there anything I could do? Should I apply for a temporary resident visa for them?
Apply temporary resident visa for all..