+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income tax - Foreign income newcomer

quatummm

Jun 28, 2021
Hi all,

In 2021, I've worked in another country for 9months and worked in Canada for 3months with an open work permit.

In Canada I earned less than Personal amount.

I already paid my income tax in that country. Do I need to pay additional tax in Canada ? Is my foreign income included to my tax bracket?

How is the process?

My second question:

If someone without foreign income came to Canada in October, only worked 3 months in Canada and earned less than personal amount. Does he need to pay income tax?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

In 2021, I've worked in another country for 9months and worked in Canada for 3months.

In Canada I earned less than Personal Income.

I already paid my income tax in that country. Do I need to pay additional tax in Canada ? Is my foreign income included to my tax bracket?

How is the process?

My second question:

If someone without foreign income came to Canada in October, only worked 3 months in Canada and earned less than personal income. Does he need to pay income tax?

Thank you in advance!
Isn't personal income = foreign income plus Canadian income?

quatummm

Jun 28, 2021
Really depends if you were a tax resident and whether there is a tax treaty with the other country.
Yes there is a treaty with the other country and I've been working with an open work permit. Lived 100days in Canada in 2021.