+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing a USA car in Canada

May 22, 2024
I am sharing below my experience of importing my USA car to Canada.

Scenario: Few months ago I packed up my stuff in my car and drove from USA to Canada.
I own my car (no loan). But I did not have my car title.
I got car insurance in Canada.
At the time of getting my PR, I had listed my car VIN number in the list of things that I would bring from USA to Canada.

Here are the steps I followed

1. I ordered a duplicate title from my USA state DMV website. It took over a month but I got the title.

2. I filled out the RIV vehicle import form https://www.riv.ca/OnlineForms/ImportWizard/Step1
2.1 - My car is more than 15 years old so it was exempt from RIV program. I made the selection accordingly. And because of the exemption I did not have to pay anything on RIV website.
2.2 - I called RIV customer service and told them all the details. The customer service rep was very helpful and patiently answered all my questions
2.3 - Once submitted, I printed the forms

3. CBSA Office
For the last many months I thought that I would have to drive my car to the USA/Canada land border to complete the import process, but I was pleasantly surprised when the RIV customer service rep told me that there are CBSA offices all over Canada and I could go to the one close to me in town.
3.1 I called the CBSA office in my town in Ontario and asked them what documents to bring. They suggested to bring the Title, RIV form from step 2, PR card, passport, COPR, drivers license, any other document.
3.2 I took the required documents to CBSA office. The officer asked for only my license and car title.
He also asked for the document that showed the list of things that I was gonna bring from USA. I did not have that document but the officer was nice enough to believe me and not charge me any import fee.
3.3 They stamped few sheets and returned me the car title, license and 3 stamped sheets. They suggested that import was complete and I can go to Service Ontario for registration.

4. Service Ontario:
I went to ServiceOntario where they asked me for my car title, license, Insurance details. AND ALSO ASKED ME FOR SAFETY INSPECTION REPORT.
The safety inspection report was a surprise ask as no one had mentioned that.
Anyways, Service Ontario lady registered my car and gave me a Car number plater And temporary Canadian Car Title. She kept my USA car title.
Car registration = CAD 59. Additional CAD 15 for temporary registration
She said that I need to get a safety inspection done at any authorized car mechanic and return to ServiceOntario within 10 days.

5. Canadian Tire
I got the safety inspection done at local CanadianTire.
If I had known about this step, I would have done this step Prior to step 4(serviceOntario).
Safety inspection cost = CAD 175
Time = 3 hours
CanadianTire failed the inspection and suggested to change brake pads and get car alignment done. To me this seemed like unnecessary but I got it done at CanadianTire. Costed me CAD 1000 for brake pads and alignment AND one additional day for them to work on my car.
After which they issued me PASSED safety inspection certificate.

6. ServiceOntario
I went back to ServiceOntario with the PASS safety inspection certificate.
She took my temporary Canadian Car title and gave me a permanent Canadian Car title

And that's it. Hope this helps !!!

Reactions: armoured