+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important advice needed

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
Hi everyone. I am writing this post so that I can get valuable advice.

So I have been very fortunate to get invited for my oath ceremony this month. The main problem that I have is that I am a medical student in the US and going to Canada and waiting for a passport to arrive would affect my education significantly.

I was thinking of taking my oath and then coming back to the US on my Pakistani passport, from where I can apply for a Canadian passport via mail. The real problem though is that my current, F-1 visa for the US states that I am a permanent resident of Canada, which makes me wonder whether taking the oath and surrendering my PR card would automatically invalidate my visa and would make me ineligible to the enter the US until I get a Canadian passport and a new I-20 document. This is causing me significant concern and I would really appreciate if someone could weigh in since I can't seem to find any information about this online.

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
you do have a student visa in US? travel with no worries, have a citizenship certificate just in case.
Yes. I do have a US student visa. Also can I travel via land border to Canada on a private vehicle if I have my citizenship certificate?

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
this part is actually more interesting. Is Pakistan allow dual citizenship? you would need to have the passport and the certificate as a replacement to visa or PR card. airline may not let you board, while you cross a land port, the worst scenario is a long and brutal time at the immigration where you will finally pass. I suggest calling CBSA and ask.
Thanks. Yes Pakistan does allow dual citizenship with Canada since it has an agreement with it. The reason I was asking about the land border crossing was because my home is in Milton which is just a couple of hours from Buffalo. Since my spring break is coming up in March I was thinking that I can just take a flight to Buffalo where my dad can just pick me up and we can cross the land border to Canada and then I can just apply for my passport during the break.

I just want to make sure that my US visa will still work once I take the oath since it is written on my visa that I am a Canadian permanent resident.

frange

May 25, 2018
They won't be care about your Canadian status or documents as long as you have your US immigration and student documents.
You just have to use the passport in which you have the US student visa to enter the U.S.
They considered you as a citizen of Pakistani resident in Canada. Even you become Canadian do not revoke your Pakistani citizenship.
I think that you have to update your Canadian status when you'll be back to the U.S.

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
They won't be care about your Canadian status or documents as long as you have your US immigration and student documents.
You just have to use the passport in which you have the US student visa to enter the U.S.
They considered you as a citizen of Pakistani resident in Canada. Even you become Canadian do not revoke your Pakistani citizenship.
I think that you have to update your Canadian status when you'll be back to the U.S.
Ok thats helpful to know. Thanks.

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
your return to Canada is more challenging. you return as a canadian (no visa, no PR) with no canadian passport. call cbsa as your case is rare
I will call them on Monday. I won't have a PR card but I will have my citizenship certificate which will prove my citizenship in Canada. While that may not let me board a flight to Canada but it should let me enter Canada via a land border crossing on a private vehicle. This is what I have gathered by looking at previous threads.

frange

May 25, 2018
your return to Canada is more challenging. you return as a canadian (no visa, no PR) with no canadian passport. call cbsa as your case is rare
He won't have any problem to go back to the US after his oath ceremony since his PR card or Canadian document won't be required. Depending how long he gonna stay in Canada, you can get your passport or ask them to send it to you in the US.

I don't think he has to worry about his situation. When he's back to the US, he'll have to update his immigration file by adding his Canadian citizenship.

scooby123

Jul 5, 2018
He won't have any problem to go back to the US after his oath ceremony since his PR card or Canadian document won't be required. Depending how long he gonna stay in Canada, you can get your passport or ask them to send it to you in the US.

I don't think he has to worry about his situation. When he's back to the US, he'll have to update his immigration file by adding his Canadian citizenship.
Thank you so much. That is really comforting to hear :)

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
I am thinking the same way, looks all good, you dont have to worry about anything

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
I will call them on Monday. I won't have a PR card but I will have my citizenship certificate which will prove my citizenship in Canada. While that may not let me board a flight to Canada but it should let me enter Canada via a land border crossing on a private vehicle. This is what I have gathered by looking at previous threads.
Hi,
that's correct.