+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status While Processing / Minor Study Permit

Seagulls828

Aug 12, 2013
Hello!

I am a US citizen, married to a Canadian citizen. I have two children from a previous marriage and we have recently applied for him to sponsor the three of us for PR (no 1st stage approval yet) and my open work permit, while here on our visitor record. My visitor record- and our passport stamps- expires Aug 31, and I have already applied online to have that extended. Would we have implied status just while the visitor extension is processing or is that while the PR application is processing? Also, I had originally thought my daughter would need a study permit for 1st grade, but when I contacted CIC, I was told that because my husband is a Canadian citizen that she would be exempt from needing a study permit because we are married, making him her parent, and he is legally able to work in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the posts I've seen here - it can go both ways. Technically (by the rules), your children should pay tuition to attend school until they become PRs. In reality, individual schools are sometimes willing to waive these fees. Contact the actual school or schools you want your children to attend (best if your spouse does it being the Canadian citizen), explain the situation - and see what they say. Again, contact the schools directly - not the board. Hopefully you'll get lucky.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
Seagulls828 said:
Hello!

I am a US citizen, married to a Canadian citizen. I have two children from a previous marriage and we have recently applied for him to sponsor the three of us for PR (no 1st stage approval yet) and my open work permit, while here on our visitor record. My visitor record- and our passport stamps- expires Aug 31, and I have already applied online to have that extended. Would we have implied status just while the visitor extension is processing or is that while the PR application is processing? Also, I had originally thought my daughter would need a study permit for 1st grade, but when I contacted CIC, I was told that because my husband is a Canadian citizen that she would be exempt from needing a study permit because we are married, making him her parent, and he is legally able to work in Canada. Does anyone have any experience with that? Thanks!
Your child will be able to attend school no problem,they don't even ask about the status when you apply,my daughter is going to grade seven and has attended school here since day one and we've never been asked about her status,we are waiting for our sponesorship application!!!....So don't you worry

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Seagulls828 said:
I have two children from a previous marriage and we have recently applied for him to sponsor the three of us for PR (no 1st stage approval yet) and my open work permit, while here on our visitor record. My visitor record- and our passport stamps- expires Aug 31, and I have already applied online to have that extended. Would we have implied status just while the visitor extension is processing or is that while the PR application is processing?
Hi

Submission of the OWP app with the inland PR app gives you Implied Status. You actually didn't even need to extend your visitor status because you submitted the OWP/PR app before your VR expired. And you won't need to extend your visitor status again, as you will be on Implied Status until they give you the OWP.

For the kids, once their visitor status expires on Aug 31st, they will be on Implied Status while the visitor extension is being processed. Then once the extension is granted, they will have visitor status again. You need to continue to extend their visitor status while the PR app processes. You can ask for longer than 6 months for them, just explain that their stepfather is sponsoring you and them and include proof of the PR app.

Seagulls828

Aug 12, 2013
Thank you all for your replies! I was able to contact the International Department of Education of our school district, and she also says there should be no problem with the kids attending school! Some of the staff at the school and I were unsure of exactly what needed to be done but it is all cleared up now. I'm going to try to get a new stamp on our passports on the 31st when our visitor record expires (I just happen to be bringing the kids back from the states from spending the summer with their birth father that day) since we will be on implied status and I know they don't give documents for that. We are coming back into Canada by train (Amtrak) this time though, and I haven't done that before. Any one have any experience with that or know if I can get our passports stamped there? That way the school has something showing that we are in fact able to be here. I requested the visitors status through July 31, 2014 thinking that would be enough time for our first stage approval, but of course the strike has now affected that, so I imagine I will have to expend it one more time next summer. Whatever we have to do to keep our family together, we are happy to do it! Hopefully this post can help anyone else with questions about stepparents sponsoring stepchildren as well!