+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status and travelling

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,

I was a student for two years and applied for PGWP in August (pending approval).
My husband's SOWP is valid until November 30, and we are going to apply for his extension soon (as I now have three salary slips).
After November 30 he will be in implied status until his permit is approved (so around end of January) and we understand that during this time we cannot go abroad, otherwise when we are back he cannot work until his permit is approved.
The question is - if we go and come back before November 30, but after we already applied for his extension - would it be considered that he is in implied status already (thus won't be able to work?) or is it ok because his current work permit is still valid (though for a few days only)?
Also, would it be possible to apply at the POE when we are back from our trip, or is it not advisable in case they don't approve it? (also, I might not receive my PGWP on time, so is it even possible to apply when mine is still processed?

Thank you for all the help!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I am not confident about how it relates to work permits, but my understanding is that implied status is lost the moment you leave the country.

Implied status exists once an initial permit or status expires while waiting for the application to be decided. If you return before the original status has expired, then I'm honestly not sure.

Reactions: nana300000

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I was a student for two years and applied for PGWP in August (pending approval).
My husband's SOWP is valid until November 30, and we are going to apply for his extension soon (as I now have three salary slips).
After November 30 he will be in implied status until his permit is approved (so around end of January) and we understand that during this time we cannot go abroad, otherwise when we are back he cannot work until his permit is approved.
The question is - if we go and come back before November 30, but after we already applied for his extension - would it be considered that he is in implied status already (thus won't be able to work?) or is it ok because his current work permit is still valid (though for a few days only)?
Also, would it be possible to apply at the POE when we are back from our trip, or is it not advisable in case they don't approve it? (also, I might not receive my PGWP on time, so is it even possible to apply when mine is still processed?

Thank you for all the help!
If you return before this current permit expires, he can continue working.

He can't be approved before your PGWP is approved. If yours is approved, you can try applying when you enter. CBSA may or may not process it.

Reactions: nana300000

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Thank you all for all the answers! And thank you canuck78 for following up :)
Yes, both of us are now working, he is full-time, and I am part-time, both in an NOC 0,A or B (he NOC A, I NOC B) we are going to apply for his SOWP based on my part-time job.
About applying when entering, yes it is too much of a risk, and probably in any case we won't have mine PGWP approved on time, so we'll just postpone our trip until everything is settled.
Thanks again for all your help!

Reactions: djcheema