+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status – Citizenship application

samlafontaine

Jul 6, 2020
Hello!

I have a simple question. I'm currently a permanent resident, and have started my application for citizenship.

I have a question around implied (maintained status).

I came to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa on October 6th, 2019. The working holiday visa was 1-year, so technically it was expiring on October 6th, 2020. However, before it expired, I submitted my PR application. Because of COVID, the delays were quite long, and I only became a PR on July 7th, 2021. Therefore, there was a 9-month period in which I was on implied (now called "maintained") status.

So my question is the following: how do I enter this in my citizenship application? When they ask for "Temporary Resident Status", I enter my Temporary Resident Permit Holder with the date received as October 6th, 2019, but what do I select for "Date your status expired"? October 6th, 2020, or July 7th, 2021 (the date I became PR). Because if I say that it expired on October 6th, 2020, there's a 9-month gap, and there's no option to select maintained status anywhere on the application form.

FWIW, I was working full-time for a Canadian employer the entire time I was on maintained status.

Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello!

I have a simple question. I'm currently a permanent resident, and have started my application for citizenship.

I have a question around implied (maintained status).

I came to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa on October 6th, 2019. The working holiday visa was 1-year, so technically it was expiring on October 6th, 2020. However, before it expired, I submitted my PR application. Because of COVID, the delays were quite long, and I only became a PR on July 7th, 2021. Therefore, there was a 9-month period in which I was on implied (now called "maintained") status.

So my question is the following: how do I enter this in my citizenship application? When they ask for "Temporary Resident Status", I enter my Temporary Resident Permit Holder with the date received as October 6th, 2019, but what do I select for "Date your status expired"? October 6th, 2020, or July 7th, 2021 (the date I became PR). Because if I say that it expired on October 6th, 2020, there's a 9-month gap, and there's no option to select maintained status anywhere on the application form.

FWIW, I was working full-time for a Canadian employer the entire time I was on maintained status.

Thanks!
What stream did you apply for your PR?
Did you apply for a BOWP? I know that some economic stream provided that.
Normally apply for PR do not give you maintained status/implied status.

How long can I stay in Canada while waiting for permanent residence?