+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact of Distance education in document evaluation after ITA

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hi All,

I am the primary applicant in our case and i did my Masters as distance education in India while i was working in India.I had send the masters for WES evaluation and i received the canadian equalency as 'Masters Degree'.
I received ITA 2 weeks back. In the documents to be submitted details in the ircc website, i found the below details. Will this impact my case?

In cases where an applicant’s background information suggests that a Canadian education credential may have been obtained via distance learning either abroad or while present in Canada, it is at the officer’s discretion to request for supporting documentation.
  • If it is determined that the applicant obtained more than 50 percent of their education via distance learning, the applicant should not be awarded additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for having a Canadian education credential. If the reduction in CRS points results in the applicant having a score below the minimum CRS, the application should be refused per A11.2

sao_18

Star Member
May 5, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Done....
31-07-2019
Passport Req..
02-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2019
to my understanding it is being referred to any education in Canada pursued as distance. As while calculating the score there is a question if the degree has been awarded from Canada something of that sort ..so its denoting that ..

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
to my understanding it is being referred to any education in Canada pursued as distance. As while calculating the score there is a question if the degree has been awarded from Canada something of that sort ..so its denoting that ..
Thankyou @sao_18 . Even i think so.. However, as a next point,, they have mentioned that:
  • Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution.
I think in my case, i will have to mention correspondence in brackets. However, as i have already stayed in the same country for many years, i will anyway have to submit PCC from India.

Jass98

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Hi All,

I am the primary applicant in our case and i did my Masters as distance education in India while i was working in India.I had send the masters for WES evaluation and i received the canadian equalency as 'Masters Degree'.
I received ITA 2 weeks back. In the documents to be submitted details in the ircc website, i found the below details. Will this impact my case?

In cases where an applicant’s background information suggests that a Canadian education credential may have been obtained via distance learning either abroad or while present in Canada, it is at the officer’s discretion to request for supporting documentation.
  • If it is determined that the applicant obtained more than 50 percent of their education via distance learning, the applicant should not be awarded additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for having a Canadian education credential. If the reduction in CRS points results in the applicant having a score below the minimum CRS, the application should be refused per A11.2
Please reply me on jass987643@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2021
Thankyou @sao_18 . Even i think so.. However, as a next point,, they have mentioned that:
  • Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution.
I think in my case, i will have to mention correspondence in brackets. However, as i have already stayed in the same country for many years, i will anyway have to submit PCC from India.
Hi Ammu_Jino, I am going to submit my express entry profile. I fall under your category. It would be great if you could answer my following question.

1. Did you mention Correspondence in the bracket?
2. Did you mention part-time or full time?
3. I got only masters degree evaluated in that case should I need to mention by UG details in the express entry profile.?

Thanks,

NikSharma01

Champion Member
Jan 3, 2019
Hi, If you have mentioned an educational program as part-time in your profile then it itself means that you pursued the educational program by attending the classes less than 15hrs/week. You can certainly add "by correspondence" but it won't make much difference.

Your educational background will be verified from the evaluation body (WES in your case) as they have complete file related to your academic history: original degree certificates and transcripts.

As long as the program is done from a recognized institution and successfully evaluated, you're good to go and won't face any issues. Hope this helps.