+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration status at stake! Kindly help it’s urgent!!

Katgang

Sep 12, 2024
I started a 2 year diploma program from September 2023 at a college in Toronto and I’ve completed one year so far. Sadly after the summer break I have not been able to pay my fees to enroll for this fall semester(September 2024) due to a family emergency. Upon inquiries from my successor advisor the courses available this fall won’t be available until fall 2025. So I’ve been advised to transfer my credits and enroll in January into another program. The issue here lies with my immigration status as I’ve been told by an immigration consultant in my school that I’ll end up exceeding the 150 day rule if can’t register this fall so I either need to leave Canada and return closer to the January intake or apply for a visitors record. I do not have the finances to leave before the 150days. Will I have any issue with immigration when I apply for the visitor record?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I started a 2 year diploma program from September 2023 at a college in Toronto and I’ve completed one year so far. Sadly after the summer break I have not been able to pay my fees to enroll for this fall semester(September 2024) due to a family emergency. Upon inquiries from my successor advisor the courses available this fall won’t be available until fall 2025. So I’ve been advised to transfer my credits and enroll in January into another program. The issue here lies with my immigration status as I’ve been told by an immigration consultant in my school that I’ll end up exceeding the 150 day rule if can’t register this fall so I either need to leave Canada and return closer to the January intake or apply for a visitors record. I do not have the finances to leave before the 150days. Will I have any issue with immigration when I apply for the visitor record?
You won't have immigration issues applying for a visitor record however there is never a guarantee the visitor record will be approved. You will need to apply for a new study permit to begin your studies again. Note that you will have to follow the outside of Canada process to apply for this study permit.

Obviously you cannot be working if you are taking that long a break in your program so you should stop working now and you won't be able to start again until your classes begin in January.

You may also want to look into a destitute student work permit however read the requirements carefully before you apply as only certain circumstances qualify. A family emergency generally won't qualify. It generally needs to be something like cases of war or the collapse of the banking system in your home country.

Good luck.