+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration charged me 2wice for citizenship

ethcl

May 31, 2024
Hello everyone. Two years ago, immigration notified me that my application was incomplete and needed to be refiled. They assured me that I wouldn’t have to pay again. However, they opened a new application number and rejected my already paid receipt, saying it was used for another application, so I had to pay again, thinking I would get that money back. Despite countless web forms, I had no luck. I even wrote to my MP. Finally, they told me I was only entitled to a right of citizenship fee, which is $100. I feel scammed and have lost $630. Does anyone know the next step for me? Is there an ombudsman for immigration?

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Hello everyone. Two years ago, immigration notified me that my application was incomplete and needed to be refiled. They assured me that I wouldn’t have to pay again. However, they opened a new application number and rejected my already paid receipt, saying it was used for another application, so I had to pay again, thinking I would get that money back. Despite countless web forms, I had no luck. I even wrote to my MP. Finally, they told me I was only entitled to a right of citizenship fee, which is $100. I feel scammed and have lost $630. Does anyone know the next step for me? Is there an ombudsman for immigration?
Generally when they start to process your application and this is valid for all categories not only citizenship, and they have to return the application to the PA, the applicant is no longer eligible for refunds, only a fee which in your case is $100. I am not aware of any complaint office unfortunately..

ethcl

May 31, 2024
They clearly stated that we were not supposed to pay. I just can’t even find that letter to prove it. I cannot sign in to the application page anymore.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Generally when they start to process your application and this is valid for all categories not only citizenship, and they have to return the application to the PA, the applicant is no longer eligible for refunds, only a fee which in your case is $100. I am not aware of any complaint office unfortunately..
It doesn't sound like they started processing ethcl's application. Processing starts after an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) is issued. Once processing has begun, applications aren't returned for being incomplete and they are obligated to process the application to refusal if the missing documents aren't provided.

They clearly stated that we were not supposed to pay. I just can’t even find that letter to prove it. I cannot sign in to the application page anymore.
The letter would have been sent to your email address if you applied online for a grant; only the application itself is returned to the application portal to be corrected and re-submitted. They would have only sent you a letter in an online portal (IRCC secure account) if you applied for proof of already having citizenship or a record search (that's a $75 fee).

Next steps
1. Follow the steps here: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/information/fees/refund.asp. Log into the payment service, locate the receipt and request a refund there.
2. If they don't want to refund you but you can locate the first and second return letters (should be in your emails), you could file a claim in court (Small Claims Court in Ontario or any province where small claims is part of the Superior Court/King's Bench/Supreme Court; in provinces where small claims is part of the provincial court or a tribunal, you have to commence the claim in Superior Court/King's Bench/Supreme Court; alternatively, you can also go to Federal Court). IRCC's policy is clear that if they return your application as incomplete (as opposed to refusing it for failing to provide requested documents), you are eligible for a refund.