Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Hello,

My family is looking ti immigrate to Canada (in the next few years) however we are a little concerned over whether or not my wife's mother could immigrate with us, as she is pretty much dependant on us due to her lack of pension, etc..... Therefore the question is would immigration consider her as a dependant (same as our daughter) and allow her to immigrate with us to Canada. Obviously we would be finacially responsible for her once we got to Canada as well.

In addition, how long would my mother-in-law have to wait before she could apply for OAP, etc....she is retired at the moment in the UK and is recieving a pension credit, since she has no pension. IF we were forced to leave her here in the UK for a period of time, we would most likely have to send money back to the UK to help her make it month to month....

many thanks in advance........

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Caddboy said:
Hello,

My family is looking ti immigrate to Canada (in the next few years) however we are a little concerned over whether or not my wife's mother could immigrate with us, as she is pretty much dependant on us due to her lack of pension, etc..... Therefore the question is would immigration consider her as a dependant (same as our daughter) and allow her to immigrate with us to Canada. Obviously we would be finacially responsible for her once we got to Canada as well.

In addition, how long would my mother-in-law have to wait before she could apply for OAP, etc....she is retired at the moment in the UK and is recieving a pension credit, since she has no pension. IF we were forced to leave her here in the UK for a period of time, we would most likely have to send money back to the UK to help her make it month to month....

many thanks in advance........
To immigration:

Family members include a spouse, a common-law partner, dependent children, and dependent child of a dependent child

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf pp 23-24

But your wife can sponsor her mom once you've landed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, you can not include mom in your application but your wife can sponsor her once you have enough income in Canada that you can show that you can support your family as well as mom. If your wife doesn't have such income by herself, then you will have to co-sign.

The processing time for parents is not exactly short. It takes 33 months to approve the sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and after that, average 10 months in London, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp#europe but since mom is UK and doesn't need a visa, there shouldn't be a problem for her to come for extended visits in the meantime.

You will be financially responsible for mom for 10 years after she gets her PR. That means if mom goes and applies for financial assistance, you will be back charged.