+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating From Outside of Canada

Lukester

Dec 31, 2007
I'm Canadian my wife is Americain and we want to return to Canada and Live in Montreal.
We live in San Diego and are applying from outside of Canada.
I'm a bit confused on what paperwork I need to apply. According to the CIC website If we are moving to Quebec we need the following forms.

Sponsorship Forms Canada:
IMM 1344A, IMM 5540, IMM 5401 Receipt, IMM 5491 Checklist

Immigration Forms Canada
IMM 008 Generic App for PR, IMM 5490 Spouse/Partner Questionairre
Now from the Quebec side do I just fill out an Application For Selection Certificate. Also do i send out for this first or do I do the Canadian paperwork first. It seems I've been getting a run around. The CIC website tells me that I have to contact a Consulate in the US. So I contact San Diego, they tell me to Contact The Los Angeles office and they tell me to Contact the Buffalo Office. And all of this just to get the proper forms to start. Could someone who has immigrated to Quebec please help me out so I can download the proper forms online.

Thanks, oh and Happy new Year everyone!

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Lukester

I am sponsoring my Husband and it is also for residency in Quebec.

You can download all your Canadian immigration forms online and submit those.
Once you are approved through Canada as sponsor, The CIC will forward your application to MICC (Quebec) They will send you an application kit in Approx. 6 weeks after that .
You then complete that application and return it to Quebec. They will send you your response approx 4 weeks after you submit your application to them. You can download the selection certificate form online for your wife to Complete, but you return it with your Quebec application kit, not before.

Your Application Kit from Quebec will have to be Completed in French, only your wife's part ( the selection certificate )can be completed in English.

But the first step is your application through CIC Canadian Immigration. You have to be approved as sponsor by them first. There are a few forms in that package that will instruct you that you do not complete them if you are to be residing in Quebec.

Good luck with Everything

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
All of the USA immigration applications (Outland)are now handled thru the Buffalo office. Sometimes if they get too back logged they might send it to another office like LA but it starts at Buffalo.