+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

immigrant married to canadian and wants a divorce

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
Hi, i met my canadian husband here in canada when i was visiting my sister who is a canadian citizen in 2007, we married here before i went home and started the immigration process while i was there... i landed in canada in December 2008 so its been just about a year now and my problem is that the marriage is just not working out, hes a baby and bloody moody and i want to leave him, i have my 16 year old daughter here and she is just settling in her school, my question is: if i leave my husband would i have to leave the country. I am indipendant and dont ask anything of or from the government, i work full time as a cleaner and pay my own way, i would ask nothing of my husband or claim anything from the government.
if anyone can give some advice, i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, you are free to leave and divorce him and it should not affect your PR status. Since this is so important, however, I would not take any action on my advice. It's only a personal opinion and I do not pretend to know for sure.

Perhaps someone else can verify this?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
being already a PR you are free to divorce, you will not lose your status.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mlea said:
Hi, i met my canadian husband here in canada when i was visiting my sister who is a canadian citizen in 2007, we married here before i went home and started the immigration process while i was there... i landed in canada in December 2008 so its been just about a year now and my problem is that the marriage is just not working out, hes a baby and bloody moody and i want to leave him, i have my 16 year old daughter here and she is just settling in her school, my question is: if i leave my husband would i have to leave the country. I am indipendant and dont ask anything of or from the government, i work full time as a cleaner and pay my own way, i would ask nothing of my husband or claim anything from the government.
if anyone can give some advice, i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
No, you don't have to leave the country should you and your husband divorced.

mlea

Nov 16, 2009
thank you for your responses, its a relief, i dont want to have to uproot my daughter again which was my main concern, all because the man who made so many promises cant grow up, its my second marriage and i aint takin that crap anymore. thanks again...