+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5669 Question 6d

MrJones

Oct 7, 2024
Hello all,

I'm unsure if I should answer Yes or No to the question 6d of IMM5669:

"Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever
d) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the
Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country or territory?"

When looking at each part of the question, I would answer No. However, the question does not mention permits, just visas. I know that a work permit is not a visitor visa or temporary resident visa, so it doesn't sound like I need to consider the refusal for my wife's spousal work permit (she applied within Canada with a visitor record, was refused due to a missing document, applied again and was approved). The visa application form imm5257e clearly says "have you ever been refused a visa or permit". But no mention of permits in IMM5669. I wish they said "excluding permits" or "including permits".

I called IRCC and got three answers from three agents:
1. "Question just asks about visas, but up to you to mention work permit refusal"
2. "Work permit is a TRV, so yes" - I think this answer is wrong, please correct me if I'm wrong.
3. "Question is just about visas, not permits." - he first said permits are TRVs, but when I asked him to check he talked to a manager and said he was wrong, question only asks about visas.

The answers I found online contradict each other. One law firm website says: "The forms become even more confusing for applicants who have applied for and were refused a study permit and then apply for permanent residence. <Question 6d> The question introduces refugee matters. It also refers to visas only, and not permits. An applicant that was refused a study or work permit may interpret the question at Box 6(d) as not applying to their circumstances because there is no mention of the word “permit”. " They don't elaborate if the permit actually applies or not. It sounds like it does from their tone? This made me more confused.

I'm leaning towards saying yes and explaining it was a work permit refusal, but at the same time if the question really does only concern visas and not permits, then I don't want to answer Yes incorrectly. Would answering Yes be used against me since me and my spouse have never been refused a visa? So technically I would be mentioning something they didn't ask for (work permits)?

I would appreciate any help. Did any of you say Yes to this question due to a study/work permit (not visa) refusal?