+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5490 QUESTION.18

ap8989

Nov 26, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm almost done with the IMM 5490 i am kind of stuck on question # 18 ( Was there a Reception )

In My Case our Nikkah was done in February 2011 with no Ruskati and a small dinner party was given by my Husband in a Resturant. My husband is coming In December to have the offical Ruksati and give a Reception (Valima ) .

Should i just say Yes a Reception was given with immediate family members or should explain why it wasn't given.

Thank you in advance

dakonej

May 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you should definitely explain that a small private reception was given right after the marriage ceremony, but that the traditional walima is still pending until your husband returns in December. You should try to keep records of your husband's trip and provide them as well (plane ticket stubs, receipts, invitations, etc.)

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
May 6, 2011 ( CSE EMAIL )
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2011 ( Received May 28 )
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
Depends on each religion, culture..if you did not have one say NO..nothing is bad.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ap8989 said:
Hello everyone,

I'm almost done with the IMM 5490 i am kind of stuck on question # 18 ( Was there a Reception )

In My Case our Nikkah was done in February 2011 with no Ruskati and a small dinner party was given by my Husband in a Resturant. My husband is coming In December to have the offical Ruksati and give a Reception (Valima ) .

Should i just say Yes a Reception was given with immediate family members or should explain why it wasn't given.
I agree with dakonej. You did have a reception, though it was not completely traditional. So explain. Say yes, you had a reception, and explain that it was a small dinner party in a restaurant for close family and friends. Show any proof you have of this: photos of the occasion, the bill from the restaurant, letters or emails from guests stating they were there (this can be part of a longer letter of support you can get some people to write for you), etc. Then state that when your husband comes to Canada in December you will have the official Ruksati then and a Valima; again, offer any proof of this that you have: invitations, proof of reservation of a banquet hall or restaurant, if you have nothing else you could at least get a notarized letter from whoever is helping you arrange it.

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
Yes, since there was no rukhsati, you are still living at your parents house. So the dinner that followed is not a valima. You can explain that, and also explain that you did have a small dinner/reception after the nikah and include any proof you have of that. However, also mention in the same field that you will have a traditional rukhsati and valima as per Muslim traditional norms after your husband comes in December. :)

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would just attach a page to explain what you did and what your future plans are, and include some pictures, if you have some.