+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'm pregnant, should I let the IRCC know?

langzzz

Jan 5, 2024
Guys, it's me again. Please see my situation on this threadhttps://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/need-help-with-flagpole-and-spouse-open-work-permit.831104/#post-10714536

On Sep 30, 2023, I submitted my spouse open work permit application from Canada as a postgraduate student’s common-law partner. I still haven't received my result, but I guess it will be soon.

My visitor status will expire in 15 days, and I’m not sure I will receive a work permit after my status expires. I tried Flagpole twice and failed, last time the CBSA officer even recorded my documents and warned me not Flagpole again.

So, I'm really worried about my visa application, I and my partner had got married on Jan 9, 2024, and I uploaded this through webform. But I still feel like I'm not gonna get it.

Yesterday, I found out I'm pregnant! And I start worrying about whether should I tell IRCC about this when I apply for status restoration and visitor records. Will that help to explain why I have to stay in Canada with my husband, or that will cause a more negative impact on my application?

Btw, I have my husband’s student insurance cover me, so we do have insurance to cover all spending for the hospital.

Please help me, I’m really confused and we don't wanna be separated in this situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guys, it's me again. Please see my situation on this threadhttps://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/need-help-with-flagpole-and-spouse-open-work-permit.831104/#post-10714536

On Sep 30, 2023, I submitted my spouse open work permit application from Canada as a postgraduate student’s common-law partner. I still haven't received my result, but I guess it will be soon.

My visitor status will expire in 15 days, and I’m not sure I will receive a work permit after my status expires. I tried Flagpole twice and failed, last time the CBSA officer even recorded my documents and warned me not Flagpole again.

So, I'm really worried about my visa application, I and my partner had got married on Jan 9, 2024, and I uploaded this through webform. But I still feel like I'm not gonna get it.

Yesterday, I found out I'm pregnant! And I start worrying about whether should I tell IRCC about this when I apply for status restoration and visitor records. Will that help to explain why I have to stay in Canada with my husband, or that will cause a more negative impact on my application?

Btw, I have my husband’s student insurance cover me, so we do have insurance to cover all spending for the hospital.

Please help me, I’m really confused and we don't wanna be separated in this situation.
You have to update any changes in circumstances like a pregnancy. You should send in a webform updating your SOWP application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Did your now spouse add you as a dependent at the beginning of the school year onto their international student plan? Just confirming again that you have proof of living together for 1 continuous year before coming to Canada. The insurance company may want proof.

langzzz

Jan 5, 2024
Did your now spouse add you as a dependent at the beginning of the school year onto their international student plan? Just confirming again that you have proof of living together for 1 continuous year before coming to Canada. The insurance company may want proof.
Yes, he did, and we had living together for 18 months before coming to Canada.

langzzz

Jan 5, 2024
You have to update any changes in circumstances like a pregnancy. You should send in a webform updating your SOWP application.
Thank you, I will do this as soon as I receive medical proof of pregnancy. Will pregnancy be a negative thing to my application result?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, I will do this as soon as I receive medical proof of pregnancy. Will pregnancy be a negative thing to my application result?
No need of medical proof. In Canada you don’t see an OB until around 12 weeks so you won’t have any proof to show for quite some time and you have to inform IRCC. Given all your previous interactions with CBSA and applying for TRV before your partner applied for a study permit it already appears that intended to move to Canada not visit. I would not play games with IRCC. I know many people do and get away with it but can lead to questioning when it comes to future applications as you have found out. With or without being pregnant showing that you have the funds to support yourselves in Canada will always be a consideration and OWP is never guaranteed for spouses of international students. That is why spouses apply with their partners for a study permit and OWP if they want a guarantee they can remain in Canada together.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123