+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ILETS From an English Speaking Country

juergens

Nov 1, 2008
I am from an English-speaking country (born and raised in the USA) went to college in Canada (Master's in Business Administration), and I still need to take this test? Not just me, but with my wife this will be an additional $500, not to mention travel to a location that does this test as we have no testing centre anywhere near us. I would think that my degree from a Canadian university would suffice. Does anyone have any experience with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
juergens said:
I am from an English-speaking country (born and raised in the USA) went to college in Canada (Master's in Business Administration), and I still need to take this test? Not just me, but with my wife this will be an additional $500, not to mention travel to a location that does this test as we have no testing centre anywhere near us. I would think that my degree from a Canadian university would suffice. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Not enough information - it depends what you're trying to do.

If you are applying to immigrate, IELTS (or another approved language test) is mandatory for the primary applicant. It doesn't matter where you are from or where you went to school. Still mandatory.

If you're trying to do something other than immigrate (e.g. apply for a study permit) - you'll need to tell us what it is you're trying to do.

juergens

Nov 1, 2008
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the intent is to immigrate. We don't have a testing centre anywhere close to where I live and just wanted to make sure I am not missing something before I go through the process of taking time from work to travel to a location where this can be done. It seems that if I have been raised in a country where English is the primary language, and is the only language I have ever used, it would be understood that English proficiency would not be an issue. But I understand that everyone needs to be treated the same. Would it help for my wife to take this as well, or is it really just the primary applicant (myself) that needs to do this?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know there are no exceptions, so you will have to take the IETLS test.

If you're doing express entry your wife's IETLS scores can add up to extra 20 points to your profile. Her work experience can also increase your score.

Look for something called comprehensive ranking system to know the points breakdown when having a spouse.