+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If you apply Inland, can you apply for a work permit?

Dan284

Jun 2, 2011
My wife and I have debated on the subject of application--is it better to apply Inland or Outland. We know that Outland applications are processed much faster than Inland but we did inquire further about this and learned, from an actual CIC rep, that it all depends on the quality of the answers and if we have all the necessary documents. So, to get to the actual question; she and I are up in arms about which route to take. The determining factor is wether or not I can apply for a work permit if we take the Inland option. Again, we do understand the pros and cons about the Inland choice, but we would like to verify if applicants who choose to apply Inland can apply for a work permit? And if so, when would the option be available?

Thanks in advance. ;)

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
Yes you can, when you apply Inland you can include the application for open work permit in the envelope. They will look into it as soon as you get approved for stage 1. My husband applied inland and it took 10 months to get landed in Canada. We applied in August 2010, OWP was issued May 30, 2011 and his PR was finalized on May 31, 2011. It was a waste of $150 for the OWP as he was not really able to use it but we are happy with the results.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
you apply for an owp the same time as you send you application. if stage 1 is successful then you are issued an owp. however stage 1 processing times are about 6 months at present, approximately the same time for a complete outland application depending on visa office.

to answer, yes you can but only after stage 1. check your vo to see if outland would take the same time and if its about 6 months then its worth doing that. same qait time to work with a better end result! :)

I was debating the exact same thing but I'm going outland because by the time I'd get stage 1 and owp inland I could potentially have pr!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
lovely20 said:
Yes you can, when you apply Inland you can include the application for open work permit in the envelope. They will look into it as soon as you get approved for stage 1. My husband applied inland and it took 10 months to get landed in Canada. We applied in August 2010, OWP was issued May 30, 2011 and his PR was finalized on May 31, 2011. It was a waste of $150 for the OWP as he was not really able to use it but we are happy with the results.
and that's a hell of an inland route! so quick but yeah sounds like a pain to wait after 6 months for the owp..

Dan284

Jun 2, 2011
Thank you both very much for the speedy response. We did look into the proccessing times and it would be roughly the same amount of time if we applied with an Outland app. Boy, they make you work for it don't they.