+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If potential error made in Form CIT0002, can I submit a clarifying letter as an addendum?

ownio

Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys

Searched extensively but didn’t find an answer to what happens if you have already submitted and a couple of potential errors/omissions are made:

I have read the helpful sticky Q&A thread, and on the application form, under 9(c), the ambiguity around periods of living abroad where NOT claiming the residence credit is noted. I selected “no” to 9(c) despite living in the UK this past year.

Further, under the travel documents section, I did not list my NEXUS card as a travel document - I only listed my passport.

I probably should have addressed both areas of uncertainty in the application. My hunch is neither would be an automatic application return (but I am guessing). Can I send a separate clarifying letter now to be appended to my application, or will this be pointless or even further complicate things?

Welcome any advice. I am sure I am not the only one who isn’t sure how to progress from here.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Hi guys

Searched extensively but didn’t find an answer to what happens if you have already submitted and a couple of potential errors/omissions are made:

I have read the helpful sticky Q&A thread, and on the application form, under 9(c), the ambiguity around periods of living abroad where NOT claiming the residence credit is noted. I selected “no” to 9(c) despite living in the UK this past year.

Further, under the travel documents section, I did not list my NEXUS card as a travel document - I only listed my passport.

I probably should have addressed both areas of uncertainty in the application. My hunch is neither would be an automatic application return (but I am guessing). Can I send a separate clarifying letter now to be appended to my application, or will this be pointless or even further complicate things?

Welcome any advice. I am sure I am not the only one who isn’t sure how to progress from here.
1. 9 (c) should only be 'YES' if you have 'lived' outside Canada and want to claim that time to count towards residency. Here is my analysis on what 'Living outside Canada' means;

If you have visited UK temporarily that does not count as living there. So as rule of thumb if you were in UK less than 183 days, that will not trigger any RQ.

2. NEXUS card should not be listed as travel document in that section of the form, so you are ok there.

In my opinion, these are not risky errors. The application will not be returned because of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whocares and ownio

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi guys

No matter if you made a mistake or not: You can't correct or send anything until you received AOR. Then you can submit additional information as a Case Specific Enquiry (CSE).

I would say that one should list a NEXUS card since it alone is enough to cross the border, but I am not sure about this, so @CANADIANZ might very well be right that it doesn't have to be listed. So I don't think it's a big issue.

Regarding the 9c question: That question is so confusing that I don't think it's a big problem how you answer it. They can see in the lines below that you lived in the UK.

Reactions: ownio

ownio

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for quick reply. I have lived in the UK since Jan 2017 (>183 days present) and have provided the UK address information in the requisite address section, as well as the section to declare that I have worked abroad on a temporary secondment. I also supplied the original of the police cert for the UK, as requested.

Not sure if I am ok or not, or if the appending letter will help. Or if I need to resubmit.

Owen

ownio

Feb 27, 2013
No matter if you made a mistake or not: You can't correct or send anything until you received AOR. Then you can submit additional information as a Case Specific Enquiry (CSE).

I would say that one should list a NEXUS card since it alone is enough to cross the border, but I am not sure about this, so @CANADIANZ might very well be right that it doesn't have to be listed. So I don't think it's a big issue.

Regarding the 9c question: That question is so confusing that I don't think it's a big problem how you answer it. They can see in the lines below that you lived in the UK.
Thanks - this definitely helps me (and possibly, others) to understand that we have to sit and wait for the AOR! Thanks for the guidance.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
You can't travel with NEXUS card only to US, I carry NEXUS card and travel frequently to US and my passport is always checked at American borders. In your way back to Canada, you won't need your passport to get back to Canada, even if you don't have NEXUS, only your PR card is requested.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I have a Nexus card and did NOT list it, nor did I show it during my interview. It caused me no issue to becoming a citizen.