+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS REQUIREMENT FOR USERS OF ENGLISH AS A FIRST LANGUAGE

RawenX

Dec 27, 2020
I'm from Sri Lanka. Almost all universities in Canada do not exempt Sri Lanka from English Proficiency. All of them require IELTS or other test results if English is not the first language.

I use English as my first language. I use it at home and it was my sole medium of education since kindergarten.

If a Canadian DLI accept me with out requiring IELTS will it be a problem when I'm applying for my study permit at a Canadian Visa Application Centre?

Will not taking IELTS be a cause for rejecting by study permit application?

HolmesZ

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
I'm from Sri Lanka. Almost all universities in Canada do not exempt Sri Lanka from English Proficiency. All of them require IELTS or other test results if English is not the first language.

I use English as my first language. I use it at home and it was my sole medium of education since kindergarten.

If a Canadian DLI accept me with out requiring IELTS will it be a problem when I'm applying for my study permit at a Canadian Visa Application Centre?

Will not taking IELTS be a cause for rejecting by study permit application?
I believe that all situation depends on your academic background. If you bachelors' degree obtained and taught in English during your whole academic years, you might be eligible for an exemption to apply a new degree or diploma, and you should provide evidence to prove your degree taught in English, including the degree certification, transcript and the letter shown English teaching. In this case, if the universities could accept your application and give you an offer, you might be qualified to apply for a visa without English proof.

However, if you finished your High School diploma, and would like to get Bachelors's degree Now. I mentioned above is unavailable, since many non-English countries do not provide English teaching for their High school courses,it is difficult for them to demonstrate that.

So, all in all, bachelors already obtained (English Taught)>>>>>> English proof could be waived for almost any courses in Canada
High school diploma ( Unless you got it in English-speaking Countries)>>>>>ineligible for exemption for Bachelor's or diploma