+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Re-Mark Help and Decision On Migration as well

Jio123

Oct 12, 2014
Dear All,

I really need your valuable inputs which can help me consider my future planning.

Let me be very honest with you, i work as a testing manager with a telecom company and my net sal is close 60K INR.
I already wasted close to 50k on my IELTS exams twice including ECS of my engineering degree.

Break Up
---------
IELTS Exam Fee
1st time 10k
2nd time 20 (inclusive of flight tickets since close date was not available in my city, hotel accomodation, food expense etc..,)
ECS valuation 17k
Courier charges 3k

Coming to my personality, Neither I am an outstanding or Excellent person nor very poor.
I would consider myself an average person and can adapt to any kind of work environment (0 ego and 0 attitude because i come from a village and worked very hard to get to this level)
Can get the job done on time (if this requires me to work even complete night and day continuously).
Where ever i worked i got good feedback on my work, performance and attitude minus the Good Salary.

I have been to Toronto twice on my work and consider to migrate because of following reasons.

1) Not even a single day i thought i was an indian during my work, it was as if i was working at my home country. I must say the kind of Ethics and Professionalism Western countries shows towards their employees are outstanding.

2) Good standard of living and well balanced work and personal life, In india we are asked to work on saturdays and sundays as well due to tight deliveries but in Canada i have not seen this, people come sharp at 8:30/8:45 AM and leave by 5:00 PM and they hardly discuss any personal details, all focus on work itself nothing more.
Back in my country work starts at 10 AM and closes at 8/9 PM which includes corridor talks, personal attacks and rumours (In my opinion the productive hours are hardly between 4-6 hours in india).

3) No Salary hikes even though acche din are here (Seriously i worked for 4 companies so far and i got salary hike only during changing the companies and for yearly appraisal was close to 6% hike which cannot meet the inflation).

4) Life is wonderful in Toronto. Also i didn't get a chance to visit any other place as i have no relatives and all my office Indian colleagues were busy during weekends, on my own i visited Niagara Falls i.e., took bus from Eaton center to Niagara and back to my Apartment where i was put up.

5) I was give $50/day when i was onsite, it was good enough since i could save $20/day. I hope a company employee will get more than this.

Coming to the point:
In my second attempt my IELTS scores are

S 7
L 7
R 6.5
W 5.5

Iam not 100% confident however iam hoping that atleast i deserve 6 in Writing, need your help.
I know Einstein discovered bulb after 10000 attempts then who am i to get disappointed on my second attempt.

Also due to the scoring i got in my 1st and 2nd attempt i am seriously thinking is it a good idea to leave current job in india and try for canada?
What if i put 120% productivity in my current job here in india?
I understand the kindl of ethics and professionalism and govt support you get in Canada cannot be compared with India but can you provide me a true picture.

Need advice and help from seniors, intellectual people from india and canada because based on your inputs only i can come to a conclusion.

Thanks in Advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jio123 said:
5) I was give $50/day when i was onsite, it was good enough since i could save $20/day. I hope a company employee will get more than this.
FYI - You won't be given this extra money if you are working for the company in Toronto full time. You were given this extra money since you were traveling on business and were away from home - to cover meals and other additional expenses. This isn't a normal employee benefit. You only get it when you are traveling for business.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jio123 said:
Coming to the point:
In my second attempt my IELTS scores are

S 7
L 7
R 6.5
W 5.5

Iam not 100% confident however iam hoping that atleast i deserve 6 in Writing, need your help.
Hi,

You will need Band 6 for each module.... for the Writing Test, you must understand the style/techniques for Tasks 1 and 2.... you must practice different types of questions for Task 1.... how to write for/against/balanced opinions for Task 2.... there are some good websites which you can refer to for this.

Beside this, you must read newspapers regularly ie good ones like The Times of India/Economic Times..... and practice, practice, practice :)

Also due to the scoring i got in my 1st and 2nd attempt i am seriously thinking is it a good idea to leave current job in india and try for canada?
Did you mean you want to leave your job and focus on getting better scores in the IELTS exam? Not quite sure what you meant by "try for canada"

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to leave a job unless you have something concrete to fall back on.... which could be another job.... or a financially-viable business venture..... or maybe if you have saved lots of money (so that you can take calculated risks in life).

Also, if you're considering immigrating to Canada, you will need money to begin a new life..... you must plan financially for all the expenses you will incur in the time it takes to immigrate + start-up/relocation expenses when you move..... before you quit your current job.

Back in my country work starts at 10 AM and closes at 8/9 PM which includes corridor talks, personal attacks and rumours (In my opinion the productive hours are hardly between 4-6 hours in india).
I understand the kindl of ethics and professionalism and govt support you get in Canada cannot be compared with India but can you provide me a true picture.
I do not agree with these statements.... I was employed at senior management levels in global corporates.

Work culture/environments/styles differ from company to company in India.... having stated this, most large Indian companies/MNCs/global corporates with offices in India.... are ethical and professional in their interactions with all 360 degree stakeholders, including their employees.... performance is recognized and rewarded.... perhaps, the silly unprofessional games happen in much smaller companies

All the best.... for whatever you choose to do :)

Jio123

Oct 12, 2014
scylla said:
FYI - You won't be given this extra money if you are working for the company in Toronto full time. You were given this extra money since you were traveling on business and were away from home - to cover meals and other additional expenses. This isn't a normal employee benefit. You only get it when you are traveling for business.
Yes you are right i was on business visa and the money provided was to cover my meals and additional expense.
Could you please let me know what is an average pay package for an immigrant in Software Testing field in Canada?

Jio123

Oct 12, 2014
Understood sir i need to get 6 in each section and practice, practice.

No i cant leave my current job as i am the bread winner of my family (wife, 2kids, parents) they are completely dependent on me.

Also i agree that if you work for an MNC (A company which is located in US/UK/Aus/Canada), I work for 4th largest indian telecom and forget about ethics and professionalism sometimes bigshot uses very filthy language in meetings to get the job done (including VP, GM, CFO, CEO) as i personally attended these meetings with my Boss and my Boss informed its a part of indian corportate can't help.
You cannot change people you have to change yourself which is very true.

Regarding funds, no i donot have much savings but can take loan and repay once get a good job but not sure what time it takes for me to land a good job in canada.

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are way way far from reality which touch the ground. You have been to Canada because of business work and you were treated as a Diplomat somehow which have given you a feeling of top most professional. Dnt take my words to other way around.

Before coming to Canada, have you researched what are the problems Canadian economy is facing? You have seen half phase such as work but personal growth and family settlement are other different factors in Canada.

My cousin brother got ITA in last draw, but he rejected because he had been to Canada last year just like you but he analysed the positive and negative phase
You will get decent salary but somehow you will lose social interaction and family gatherings.

Here just not working on weekends spelled out the attraction for you, but giving asked to leave letter on next day even you are progessing by leaps and bounds might also be depressing factor.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jio123 said:
Also i agree that if you work for an MNC (A company which is located in US/UK/Aus/Canada), I work for 4th largest indian telecom and forget about ethics and professionalism sometimes bigshot uses very filthy language in meetings to get the job done (including VP, GM, CFO, CEO) as i personally attended these meetings with my Boss and my Boss informed its a part of indian corportate can't help.
I find it difficult to believe that the senior management of India's 4th largest telecom company use filthy language to get work done..... but then you know best as you work there.

Filthy language is not part of the Indian corporate culture.... your senior manager must be a one-off exception.

Many companies have Ethics Committees.... you can escalate the matter to the Ethics Committee/HR department of your organization, if you so wish.... this can be done in confidence without disclosing your identity

Jio123

Oct 12, 2014
Jaiveer Singh said:
You are way way far from reality which touch the ground. You have been to Canada because of business work and you were treated as a Diplomat somehow which have given you a feeling of top most professional. Dnt take my words to other way around.

Before coming to Canada, have you researched what are the problems Canadian economy is facing? You have seen half phase such as work but personal growth and family settlement are other different factors in Canada.

My cousin brother got ITA in last draw, but he rejected because he had been to Canada last year just like you but he analysed the positive and negative phase
You will get decent salary but somehow you will lose social interaction and family gatherings.

Here just not working on weekends spelled out the attraction for you, but giving asked to leave letter on next day even you are progessing by leaps and bounds might also be depressing factor.
Hmm no sir i was not a diplomat, i was a simple deployment engineer and was able to provide a workaround for any code issues and then get it fixed by dev team ASAP. so the treatment was very normal.
No i have not researched and this is the reason why i am on this forum to get a clear picture.
Rejecting ITA is purely personal decision and depends on person to person and yes ofcourse you will lose social interaction and culture which cannot be replaced by money.
Agree with you, because of the job security reason (As many people were laid off in my previous company which was NJ based) i switched to indian company but the kind of work culture is pathetic.
Anyways in india you are taught to do work (meaning study hard, get good score you will get a good job and enjoy life working as an employee), no body focuses on being generate employment or become an entrepreneur, unless you go to a good B school.
Appreciate your time and inputs.

Jio123

Oct 12, 2014
Bryanna said:
I find it difficult to believe that the senior management of India's 4th largest telecom company use filthy language to get work done..... but then you know best as you work there.

Filthy language is not part of the Indian corporate culture.... your senior manager must be a one-off exception.

Many companies have Ethics Committees.... you can escalate the matter to the Ethics Committee/HR department of your organization, if you so wish.... this can be done in confidence without disclosing your identity
Sirji this is india ;)
Because of this kind of treatment one of our AVP who joined from Cap Gemini citing the same reason its been six months no improvement, another GM left for the same reason no action yet.
Let me say one thing all the top guys are either related to MDs family or friends/relatives and report directly to MD, so will you believe a house person or you will trust an outside person?
Unless the outside person is outstanding and can show clear difference even in this case they wont let the outside person to reach at that level, they will utilize all the knowledge and project it as they have done it.
So no point in complaining the best would be if you like work otherwise leave.