+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEc work permit extension with other category work permit

xero0xx

Sep 1, 2015
Hello all,

AS im digging deeper and deeper i realised that ive made some serious mistakes after my IEC open work permit expired.

My immigration consultant, which apparently wasnt competent enough, applied for my IEC work permit extension and we thought that i got an implied status, so i was working untill i it got refused, after 90 days, we did the same thing and i was working for another month at my company.

Now my company did an LMIA and it got approved, but i stayed in canada for additional 4 months and i was working illegaly for those 2 months as we didnt know that impled status doesnt apply for IEC.

Will my future work permit will be refused because of that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yep - your immigration consultant messed up.

To answer your question, it's hard to say if this will impact your application or not. I think it's still quite possible you will be approved - ultimately up to CIC. Make sure you answer all questions 100% honestly in your work permit application. Working illegally in Canada can result in a ban being applied that prevents you from applying for a work permit for six months. Really hard for any of us to say if that will be applied to you. Some of that will depend on how long ago this happened. If it was within the last few months - higher chance you'll have issues.

xero0xx

Sep 1, 2015
Very interesting. and yes my last work permit application was refused approx. a month ago, so i left the country. also ive never extended my sin number as my consultant said i dont need to since i had an implied status.

apparently i didnt have anthing and was working illegaly for 2 months in the last 6 months period.

basically we applied for a work permit, then i continued working as usual, then it got refused and letter stated that i have 90 days to restore my status. after 90 days we applied for another work permit, but this time with LMIA number, Lmia got refused as our job ad was misleading and Service Canada officer was confused with noc code, we wrote an appeal which granted us a positive LMIA.

another question is, will they see that i was actually working at that time as i could say that i left canada 5 months after my IEc expired and since its states that i have to leave the country volunteraly, i did, except after few months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know if they will be able to see that you worked or not - however they'll certainly be able to see any extension / restoration applications submitted. Short answer is that you should definitely not lie in your application if asked for your work history - you need to declare the illegal work (otherwise you're looking at a misrepresentation finding and likely a ban from Canada for 5 years). So first and foremost, you need to be 100% honest about your history in anything you submit to CIC or say to CIC/CBSA.

Do not under any circumstances lie and say you were simply staying in Canada for those five months without working. As explained above, that's a recipe for disaster that puts you on the path to a multi-year ban from Canada. Immigration fraud is taken very seriously.