+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC to LMO based WP

ThadJarvis

Aug 23, 2013
Hi all,

I am in Canada on an IEC 12 month visa (Aust Citizen). I work here FT and am hoping to stay that way.

My employer has requested an LMO for my position however it is taking more time than expected.

My IEC visa expires late May. I have applied for another IEC visa as insurance in case my LMO does not come through in time. I have done this online as an outside application, however I don't think it will come through in time (stage 1 is accepted, stage 2 held up with documents required, but should be in progress soon)

My LMO has not come through, so I cannot apply for a work permit yet. As soon as it comes through, I will of course apply without delay, but at around 5 weeks til my IEC visa expires I doubt it will be approved prior to my expiry.

So, I have the following questions:
- What are my options?
- Am I right to think there is no implied status even if I applied with my LMO?
- If that's the case do I need to go to the border and re-enter as a visitor when my LMO expires?
- Surely there is another way...?

There seems to be a lot of question over whether going from an IEC to inside WP appliction implies status. I realize that my new IEC application does not give implied status but I'm wondering perhaps if the WP does give me something.

I'm just really trying not to inconvenience my employer by having to stop working. I will not break the law and will do what is legally required but I really would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You do have to stop working until you have your new work permit since there's no implied status for IECs. However you don't have to flagpole. You can apply to change your status to visitor from within Canada. Make sure CIC has the application before your work permit expires.