+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to sponsor my husband

anusai

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
I am a Canadian citizen. My husband used to be a PR card holder but since he could not maintain it, he gave it away. Now he will be visiting Canada on a visit visa which has been granted to him.

I want to sponsor him. to do that do I have to be physically present in Canada or can i
do it from the country of residence. We are from India living in the middle east. I heard that the processing
time from Delhi is less compared to middle east.

My children are canadian citizens and live and work in Canada. They can sponsor but if I do as a spouse,the process will be faster.

My question is do I have to be in Canada to apply? Also, I am not working so I cannot show any source
of income except our savings. will that go against me?

thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
As a Canadian citizen yourself, you do not have to be in Canada in order to apply for PR sponsor. You can be anywhere in the world and still apply.

There is a catch though. You have to convince CIC that you intend to move back to Canada and stay. CIC will not grant PR to your husband if they are not convinced that you will be moving back. They may assume you are only doing it so your spouse can get PR and come back with you.

PR will not lose their PR status while living outside Canada so long as they live with Canadian citizen. This is why CIC need to believe you will intend to move back and stay.

Screech339

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
As a citizenyou dont need to bein Canada to sponsor him, but you both need to show you do plan to live in canada once the PR is granted.

There is no minimum income required, just as long as you havent been on welfare.