+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to apply for citizenship

Kzr2001

Aug 14, 2019
Hello I have some health and mental health issues. I rather not disclose here. I understand Canada allows citizenship for permanent residents to apply for citizenship under the law i mentioned below. Does anyone know the process for it? It is important for me. I am currently living in Canada. Thank you in advance

Website- https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/section-5.html

5.3.b.ii) Waiver by Minister on compassionate grounds
(3)
The Minister may, in his or her discretion, after having reviewed a person’s particular circumstances, waive on compassionate grounds,

·

o (ii) the requirement respecting length of physical presence in Canada set out in paragraph (1)(c),

Disabled persons

(3.1)
For the purposes of this section, if an applicant for citizenship is a disabled person, the Minister shall take into consideration the measures that are reasonable to accommodate the needs of that person.

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hello I have some health and mental health issues. I rather not disclose here. I understand Canada allows citizenship for permanent residents to apply for citizenship under the law i mentioned below. Does anyone know the process for it? It is important for me. I am currently living in Canada. Thank you in advance

(3)
The Minister may, in his or her discretion, after having reviewed a person’s particular circumstances, waive on compassionate grounds,

·

o (ii) the requirement respecting length of physical presence in Canada set out in paragraph (1)(c),

Disabled persons

(3.1)
For the purposes of this section, if an applicant for citizenship is a disabled person, the Minister shall take into consideration the measures that are reasonable to accommodate the needs of that person.
Are you currently a permanent resident of Canada?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017

(3)

·

Disabled persons

(3.1)
(ii) is a subsection to (b), so it only applies to applicants who are minors.

(3.1) basically says that if a disabled person can't fulfill one of the steps in the process towards citizenship, then the Minister might consider an accommodation. An example is if the person is bedridden at home, then the Minister would send a citizenship official to the person's home to administer the oath and give them their certificate, instead of requiring the person to travel to attend the citizenship ceremony.